Maybe it won’t be as good as you hoped. Maybe it won’t be as bad as you feel.

On Friday morning I took a taxi from Waterloo station across to the Montcalm Hotel in The City. It was an interesting day to be in London. Naturally, the cabbie and I started a conversation about the morning’s events following the referendum vote of the previous day. I have often found black cab drivers to be some of the most knowledgeable and down to earth people I have ever met, and this one was no exception. I was surprised and comforted to hear his thoughts. He informed me that he believed that people of his age and over shouldn’t have really been allowed to vote. They had had their ‘time’, their ‘career’ and really, whatever happened ‘it don’t matter to them'(sic). It did to his kids though and he told me that, because of the result, he was genuinely worried about their future. As our journey progressed, he showed himself to be a man who had put a lot of thought into his decision. After seeing this table below shared on Facebook, I could see that he certainly had a point about the over sixties.

13516560_10153516839686207_4667989834469983395_n

I was one of those people who woke up on Friday morning at some ungodly hour and started to watch the news unfold as the result of probably the most important vote for this country in my lifetime showed itself. As it did, and over the course of the past few days, I have seen smug posts on Facebook from people who had voted leave, news reports of people who had voted leave and then wish they hadn’t, some awful racist tweets, people despairing and saying that they want to leave the country (and are seriously looking into it), a petition set up for a 2nd referendum…originally by a Leave voter prior to the 23rd June but now being used by those who wanted to remain!!, an article about the Banks making moves to leave the UK  as well as a article written by Nick Clegg preempting pretty much everything that has happened so far and, experienced first hand, the genuine fear of not only foreign people living in this country but also of those greatly concerned – understandably – for our economy. Plus, David Cameron was damned if he stayed, and damned if he didn’t.

I have never really been a political person but I, for one, voted remain (and I don’t care who knows it). For so very many reasons. I am one of the most British people you will ever meet. I love this country and I was am so proud of it. But it doesn’t mean that I don’t believe that we should pull together with the rest of Europe. What I am not proud of is the way that people, including members of the same family, have started to disagree about what has happened and fall out with each other – whichever side of the fence they are on. Everyone has a right to an opinion and that has now been cast. People should respect the decision that has been made but they also have a right to express their feelings peacefully without others condemning it.

What I do worry about most in all of this is that it has given the sickening racists amongst us carte blanche to start making threats and saying things that (I hope) many of us Brits don’t feel. I worry that we will now go backwards when we were doing so well at going forwards. I travelled the tube this morning. Mainly because I wanted to go and take some photography on the underground, but, as I sat there amongst the Jewish, the Chinese, the Americans, the French and the Indians and many others, I had a feeling of concern for the first time ever that at least one of those people might think I am a racist. Me, a person who likes to live and let live, a caucasian woman, who for the first time felt embarrassed about the colour of my skin! I am all for making sure that this country doesn’t get over-crowded but it didn’t mean that we had to leave the EU to get this under control, surely?! I then walked across to the South Bank where a mixture of people were enjoying the mid-morning sunshine and the eclectic mix of entertainment under the watch of the London Eye. Then I sat in tears on the wall, watching this and wondering what next? A lovely Asian man came over and asked me if I was OK. I thanked him and told him I was.

This vote was so much bigger than a general election and should have been taken so much more seriously than some people did. Take the interview with this woman on Sky.

13497857_1019203774821823_1936112008201934703_o
13442694_1019203778155156_9180463600939884045_o
13495448_1019203781488489_3091150886016777876_o

I have heard some say that many of those who voted Labour should have just shut up after the Tories got in. Of course they had a right to an opinion but at least for them there would be another chance in around 4 years time. Not so for the Remain voters of the referendum and that is why they should be allowed to have their say and feel their feelings – whether it be on their blog, on a Facebook post, on Twitter or wherever – because for them there won’t be ‘another chance’ in 4 years time.

As I said in a Facebook post on Friday, I don’t bear any malice towards anyone who voted leave. I just want them to prove those in the Remain camp wrong. Surely we should work together, united in this, to make what has been decided work for everyone? Que sera sera. In my opinion, having a second referendum would make a mockery of the first, make the leavers complain that their vote wasn’t taken seriously and make the remain voters look weaker than I believe they actually are.

Maybe it won’t be as good as the leavers hoped and maybe it won’t be as bad as the remainers feel but I just hope that this country can now pull together in a dignified way, find someone with the balls to lead us from the front and find a way through the complete and utter shambles that it is quickly materialising into.

And then the fun began...

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. July 2, 2016 / 8:09 pm

I’ll be honest I felt physically sick when I saw the result in Friday morning. I feel that the tone of the campaigning especially around immigration has been very divisive, my husband came to the UK as an immigrant and so it’s very close to home for us. I think it is so hard to accept the result and look forward because of the misinformation and lies that were used during the campaigning, it doesn’t feel like a fair fight. I hope you are right that it might not be as bad as we fear, at the moment I’m kind of stuck in feeling angry and worried.

• July 2, 2016 / 9:39 pm

I am so sorry to hear that it has affected you so badly. There are more and more people expressing this. Such sad times x
      Victoria recently posted..Unboxing the Num Noms 2 SeriesMy Profile

2. June 29, 2016 / 9:30 pm

Well said. I am not British nor do I live in Britain but since we Irish are affected by this decision too in relation to Northern Ireland it is interesting to hear real accounts of how people feel and nut rely purely on the main media channels.
    #thetruthabout

3. June 29, 2016 / 9:25 pm

I did feel that some of the sentiments coming from those who were advocating leave (on Facebook at least) came across as being incredibly superficial and unintelligent. It was really frustrating! You’ve got a good point that Brexit isn’t going to happen every four years – it seems that the leave voters were incredibly gung ho with all our futures. I hope it isn’t as bad as we all seem to fear and that any racism or discord to come from this is quickly nipped in the bud. Thanks so much for linking up to #thetruthabout with your thoughts on this Vic. X

4. June 29, 2016 / 7:48 am

Great post Vic, largely echoes my thoughts. As luck would have it, I was born with dual citizenship (french / British), something I pass on to my kids. I’d never actually formalised it for my youngest but I mailed all the paperwork off yesterday so that process is underway. My wife may also now qualify through marriage so we shall explore that option. We won’t necessarily move anywhere, certainly not at this stage, but we have options and we’d be foolish not to explore them and keep them open. I just think this is such a terribly sad thing for the UK. I’ve never considered myself English, always British. I simply don’t recognise the Britain I woke up to on Friday morning. It has changed beyond recognition to the country I was born and grew up in and the Scots have, in my opinion, a totally legitimate mandate to demand another independence referendum. I haven’t cried, but I’ve come very close to it, largely because futures I thought were secure, my family and in mparticular my daughter’s, are no longer secure at all. #TruthAbout
    John Adams recently posted..The EU referendum; one father’s lamentMy Profile

5. June 28, 2016 / 10:16 pm

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for this post. I feel really down about the vote….still. I was utterly shocked when I woke on Friday morning at around 5am, checked my phone, and saw the news updates that we had voted leave. It will be, for me, one of those memorable life moments that you always remember exactly where you were and what you were doing. I remember exactly what I was doing when I first heard about the 9/11 attacks – not that the two events are in anyway comparable.

I keep trying to remind myself that this is a democracy and that 51.9% of the population voted to leave. I need to get over this because I believe in and support our democracy. But then I see reports of protest voters, and those regretting their decision, and the leave campaign lies and I just feel angry, gutted and angry. Pen x #thetruthabout
    Pen recently posted..#REGREXIT : Where have 51.9% of the population gone ?My Profile

6. June 28, 2016 / 3:37 pm

I’ve been following this situation pretty closely, as we have a pretty important vote coming up here in the States. It worries me that some might not take it seriously, or that young people won’t take the time to actually get to know some of the issues at stake. Its so hard to find an unbiased take on anything, that making informed choices becomes a chore #truthabout

7. June 28, 2016 / 1:22 pm

It’s just such an awful result. Explanations from people on why they voted out has revealed how deficient Britain’s critical thinking and research skills are. This idea that we’d come out, close our borders, suddenly have a booming manufacturing industry, countries lining up to give us favourable trade deals, shiny new hospitals springing up each week, etc, was always about as likely as the magical money fairy waving her wand and making us all millionaires. I campaigned for Remain in an area that has had more out of the EU than almost anywhere in the country and, in the face of facts and figures, people still just parroted back propaganda about immigration and unelected bureaucrats.

As Gove said, a slight majority were fed up of people who actually understood what they were talking about, and now we will all have to accept the consequences. #thetruthabout
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted..What If Young People Voted?My Profile

8. June 28, 2016 / 6:30 am

Hi Victoria, that woman interviewed on Sky is a prime example of the lack of thought that went into some peoples votes. Like you I’m not a political person, I have my views, but respect other peoples views. Unfortunately I could not vote in this referendum as I have lived outside the UK for so long, which was wrong considering the far reaching implications a leave vote could have not only on my life, but that of many other British people living abroad.

I feel the government used the People of Britain as pawns in a very dangerous game, many of which aren’t prepared to stick around and pick up the pieces.

After reading a few posts on the subject, I decided to write my own too. It will be published tomorrow (unless I change my mind!) and I’ll be adding a link back to this one. I have found reading the opinions of other ‘normal people’ interesting and I am sure other people will too.

Thank you for writing this.

xx
    Debbie recently posted..A Rather Handsome Looking Swallowtail ButterflyMy Profile

9. June 27, 2016 / 2:45 pm

Another really good post on the subject. Like you, I voted to remain (I know only one person who voted to leave, so I’m not sure where all the leave voters came from!). I am seriously worried for the future. I don’t think all of the leave voters really knew what they were voting for because there hadn’t been any clear messages on either side. Unfortunately, I feel we are all going to pay the price for this for many years to come. Like you, I really hope it won’t be as bad as we fear.

10. June 27, 2016 / 1:46 pm

Much as we laughed when here in Ireland we voted no to the Lisbon treaty and were given a second chance.

I believe that is the only way to fix what looks like being a disaster.

Both remain and leave campaigns were appallingly run.

A decision with as far reaching ramifications as the one that will be made should be based on facts and the good of the country as a whole.

The Leave campaign had no explanation of what happens now and looks like they had no plan, except get us out and then we’ll make it up as we go along.

I remember the Poll tax protests. Here in Ireland they have forced delays in bringing in pay by weight bin charges and water charges are suspended.

By working together the right thing can be done. I teach my children that sometimes we have to do things we might not like or agree with for the common good.

Let’s hope cmon sense prevails.
    Alan @ Babypinkandtheboys recently posted..100 Not OutMy Profile

11. June 26, 2016 / 9:18 pm

I hope the same. I just woke up checked my phone and said the f word. I can’t believe the number of Leave voters who voted thinking it wouldn’t happen. If they have a good reason then fine, I respect it is different than mine, but some reasons have been so short sighted it is ridiculous. I believe people have been extremely short sighted on the economy. They don’t realise how many companies will have to move people as they have to have a head office in the EU. They see London bankers as being well off and don’t appreciate the taxes they pay or the knowledge they have. The racism quite frankly scares me. I really hope that I am proved wrong about the vote, but for now it is utter chaos.

12. Kara
    June 26, 2016 / 8:50 pm

I have hated watching the fall out from this and it has brought out the very worst in people – I’m sure a result for staying would have done the same. I spoke to my mum today who voted to leave and her comment really struck me “we voted to leave to apologise for voting in back in 1975”
    You may not like me for this but I voted out. I want laws made in the UK by our citizens, I want our money to pay for things to help us – affordable housing, manufacturing remaining in the uk and not exported out to cheaper workers etc etc. I am not racist, some of my closest friends were not born in the UK, I firmly believe that we should be able to live and work where we choose but respect that country’s laws and culture.
    I have no doubt that whichever way the vote had gone there would have been financial impacts. No one knows what is going to happen next. There will be initial pain, teething problems but I firmly believe that this country and its people have the time, patience and skills to get us back on track. We will always be part of Europe, we can and have already started re-negotiating trade agreements and I just hope that the ramifications for Scotland, N. Ireland and Gibraltar are given the time that they need to be resolved

• June 27, 2016 / 11:31 am

A really interesting discussion point Kara. I am firmly of the opinion that everyone is entitled to an opinion and I can see why you voted out. I was on the fence for a while and I wish that the out camp had come up with better discussions and reasons and a plan and I would have been more open to what they had to offer. I don’t dislike anyone who has sensible reasons x
      Victoria recently posted..Maybe it won’t be as good as you hoped. Maybe it won’t be as bad as you feel.My Profile