After the End. A Photography and Poetry Prompt #NationalPoetryDay

After the End. A Photography and Poetry Prompt #NationalPoetryDay

Well, on yesterday’s poem I did say that I would do more than one poem this week in honour of National Poetry Day – and here is another! In fact, I am pleased to say that I have written 40 this year! This includes a poem that Ross will be reading at our friends wedding a week on Saturday.

Firstly, the image is one I took on a walk one day around our town just after it had been raining. There really is something beautiful about raindrops on plants.

Today’s prompt is ‘after’ and I really had to wrack my brains over what to write. I hate forcing a poem. It just seems so false to me. So, what I did with this one was I just wrote to see where the words would take me. Below is the end result. I am not sure whether I am entirely happy with it but I think it kind of works!

After the End

After the rain then comes the sun
After the walk soon comes the run
After the pain then comes the mend
After the straight then comes the bend

After the darkness then comes the light
After the day then comes the night
After you’re gone there are memories
After you’re gone then remember me please

After time passes, it heals all the pain
After time passes, you can but try again
After the end then what lies beyond?
After..I don’t know..I cannot respond

Victoria Welton 7th October 2015

Prose for Thought

Post Comment Love
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. October 16, 2015 / 12:31 am

I love your photo!! It is a really good shot!! Your poem is lovely! I really like it! Well done for doing 40 poems! It is a lot!! Thanks for hosting #PoCoLo 🙂 x

2. Maddy@writingbubble
    October 11, 2015 / 10:14 pm

Gorgeous photo and for a ‘forced’ poem I think it’s pretty impressive! xx
    Maddy@writingbubble recently posted..#NationalPoetryDayMy Profile

3. Nige
    October 11, 2015 / 9:23 am

A beautiful poem really enjoyed the read thanks for linking to the binkylinky

4. October 10, 2015 / 2:26 pm

Hi Victoria, it works! I remember being fascinated at how raindrops can look like diamonds when they sit in the center of certain shaped leaves as a child. Beautiful.

The second verse of your poem hit home with me as it’ been a sad summer.

xx
    Debbie recently posted..The Secret Of A Happy Family Is…My Profile

5. October 9, 2015 / 2:33 pm

Poignant yet positive. Time is a great healer. 40 – wow – keep writing. #pocolo

6. October 9, 2015 / 12:52 pm

What a poignant poem. It makes my mummy’s heart feel sad, it sounds like pleasure and pain and the fear of the unknown. You are living through these words. It’s a beautiful poem, we need to start reading more of yours! #PoCoLo
    Baby Isabella recently posted..Top childrenswear picks from BHSMy Profile

7. October 8, 2015 / 8:25 pm

There’s a sense of positivity in this poem that I love so much. Though there’s also a hint of sadness, but I feel like the words are pushing the reader to deal with that and move on. It’s quite inspiring! The fact that you just wrote this to see where the words took you shows just how talented you are with words. Thank you for sharing this! It’s one of my favorite ones from you so far. Here’s to 40 more beautiful poems, Victoria. Congratulations 🙂
    Maria recently posted..Idea Box Link Party: Week #31 (Guest Co-Host-October)My Profile

• October 9, 2015 / 11:33 am

Thank you Maria. Funnily enough I felt the same way about it after I had written it! And what a lovely compliment. I really appreciate that. Thank you for continuing to link up x

8. October 8, 2015 / 9:56 am

I think this is a wonderful poem. I really love the cadence of your writing. I always get swept along in such a delightful way. Thanks for hosting #prose4t
    Kyles (Bookish Mummy) recently posted..Liebster Award NominationMy Profile