Memories. A Photography and Poetry Prompt

Memories is my latest photograhy and poetry prompt. I found this rather apt with it being Remembrance Day today. I did stop at 11am this morning and have a bit of a think about my Grandad and his brother and what they must have gone through.

The photograph is of me in Florence. This was taken on one of my favourite holidays in Italy back in 1994. I shared a post over on Victoria Visits yesterday and as a result of this, thoughts of my time in this beautiful country came flooding back.

In a bid to start more of a collection of different types of poem, this week’s is written from the angle of someone who has lost a person close to them. I am thankful to say that I have not lost anyone close to me recently but I hope this helps anyone who has. There is a recording of my reading just below the words.

Memories

Memories are the footsteps
That imprint on our mind
Stop and close your eyes
They’re not too hard to find

You may have to try harder
For ones from the distant past
But the memories you have of me
Well, they are built to last

Some they might be painful
And some they might be sad
Remembering is there for you
For all the times we had

Time it is a healer
The pain it will subside
The tears, they will fall less
But don’t regret the ones you’ve cried

Memories are a treasure
A recollection of your past
Possessions they may fade
But the memories will last

Victoria Welton 11th November 2015

Prose for Thought
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. November 14, 2015 / 6:12 am

Hi Victoria, lovely words that say it all. People die, but when they go they leave the most precious gift of all… Memories.

Have a great weekend.

xx
    Debbie recently posted..The Waiting Is Over…My Profile

2. November 13, 2015 / 6:41 pm

Florence is somewhere I’ve never been, it looks beautiful though 🙂

Brilliant poem again. My favourite line is about not regretting the tears you’ve cried. Good advice xox
    Lisa from Lisa’s Life recently posted..The Prompt: I Dwell In PossibilityMy Profile

3. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault
    November 13, 2015 / 8:54 am

It is always something I say to people who have lost some-one – they may be gone in person but their memories live with you for ever.

4. November 13, 2015 / 6:59 am

Such beautiful words. My children are just about starting to realise about memories and people we’ve lost so said they decided to think about Great Nana as they didn’t really understand the ‘war’. #pocolo
    Mini Travellers recently posted..My Captured Moment – 4 GenerationsMy Profile

5. November 12, 2015 / 11:37 am

Don’t regret the ones you’ve cried. Very memorable and wise words. So well written x

6. November 12, 2015 / 11:07 am

This is beautiful, Victoria. I love the picture of you–you look absolutely happy (and who wouldn’t with that beautiful scenery in the background). The poem also speaks volumes. The very first line was so powerful and true: memories are the footsteps that imprint in your mind. Thank you so much for sharing, Victoria and for hosting us week after week. Have a great Thursday!
    Maria recently posted..A Guide for Enjoying the Little Years with Your Kids: A Book ReviewMy Profile

7. November 12, 2015 / 8:00 am

Victoria, this is another just outstanding poem. Reading your poems each week, and those of the other people who link up to #prose4t, has definitely improved my own writing. Thank you so much for hosting. What a wonderful photo too! You look so happy and relaxed x
    Kyles @ Pickles and Pords recently posted..Lest We ForgetMy Profile