The Conception Diaries – 34 Weeks Pregnant

The Conception Diaries – 34 Weeks Pregnant

Following my series on YouTube, The Conception Diaries and our attempts to get pregnant, our IVF baby is due in July 2017. My last update was at 33 weeks pregnant when I wrote about a baby shower and trips to see lots of different people over half term.

I am now 34 weeks pregnant. As I type this, I have less than 37 days to go. According to our scan, our boy weighs around 5lbs 7oz and is about the size of a cantaloupe.

This week has probably been the most eventful of my pregnancy so far.

The headaches return 

For the first couple of days of this week, I woke up with a headache which stretched from my left eye across into my temple. I took paracetamol but it didn’t really seem to work! As a result, I figured it was probably just things returning to the third trimester which were there in the first. I also had a bit of blurred vision as a result.

Seeing my acupuncturist 

I made a welcome return to see my acupuncturist, Louise, at Accuherbs in Dorchester on Tuesday. I told her all my symptoms including my headaches and swollen feet and she did a great job as always. The points where she placed the needles were particularly sensitive. She included a needle to help my sinus which really did the trick!

An appointment with my midwife 

Thankfully, on Wednesday, I didn’t wake up with another headache. I worked as usual in the morning – with a bit of blurred vision – but didn’t think too much of it. I went for my appointment with my midwife at 3pm and, when she checked my urine sample, she found a plus one of protein in it. She also noted a raised blood pressure. Normally it is very low and, at my booking appointment it was 100 over 60. Today it was 138 over 74. I also told her about my headaches. She then measured my bump with a tape measure and he was measuring 32 weeks.

As a result of all this information, she was a little concerned so rang the hospital to say that she would like to send me in for further investigations and also wrote out a blue slip for another growth scan for the baby.

I went home, explained the situation to Ross, we picked up Grace and set off for the hospital.

Sent to the hospital

Once at the hospital, we went up to the labour ward and was shown to a room. The first thing I did was to provide another sample and then the midwife put me on a monitor to check the baby. I had a button to push each time I felt him move – which, as per our little wriggler, was on quite a regular basis. She also took my blood pressure again. It turned out that I had suspected pre-eclampsia.

We were waiting around a lot and Ross and Grace spent a lot of time telling jokes and making us all laugh. We were able to help ourselves to cups of tea and basically, there was a lot of waiting around. Eventually the doctor came to see us. They were very happy with the baby’s movements and, after checking my BP and providing yet another sample – this time without any protein in it – they decided to let us go home. I was asked to go for another BP check on Friday. We finally arrived back home at around 8.15pm.

Back again for a scan

The following morning we had a call from the hospital to ask us to come in for a growth scan at 11.30am. Ross and I were only too happy to see our boy again! Whilst we were waiting for the sonographer, it seemed that we had started to get know pretty much all the staff in the maternity unit. They all made sure to say hello and I have to say that I always feel comfortable there.

The scan went well and our boy was once again meeting all his growth targets and they estimated his weight at around 5lb 7oz. We had to take the results up to the day unit and, once again they decided to take my blood pressure and once again it was elevated. I had to provide a sample and they again found protein. I was asked to wait to see the doctor, and the nurse on duty kindly brought Ross and I a cup of tea. The nurse then took blood and another sample – both of which would be sent off to the lab – and, after some discussion with the doctor, they decided to let us go home again with a view to coming back if the results weren’t good.

At around 8pm we spoke to the hospital and the midwife confirmed that, whilst my blood platelets were low, they were within the comfort zone so they were happy for me to stay at home with lots of rest. They said that I no longer needed a blood test the following day but asked that I come to the drop-in clinic on Sunday to check my blood pressure again.

Lots of rest

Both Friday and Saturday were days where I had my feet up and slept quite a bit. Friday was still a work day but I paused where I had to and made sure I took it easy. Saturday I slept in until nearly 10am which is almost unheard of for me! I then spent much of the day on the sofa. I had been contemplating going to Ross’ gig that evening to take photographs but, come the afternoon, I knew that I just wouldn’t be able to manage it.  Instead, Grace and I enjoyed a girly night in with a film.

More hospital

I woke up at around 5am and realised that I couldn’t really breathe very well. I added some extra pillows to help me sit more upright and managed to get back to sleep, waking up at around 9.45am. After some breakfast, Ross, Grace and I set off for the drop-in clinic at the hospital.

Once there, I signed in and, after about 15 minutes, I decided to go and see if I could find some plastic cups for the water machine. I managed to find a midwife I knew. This was Grace’s friend’s mum and the lady who took us for the aquanatal exercise class. She saw straight away that I was looking ‘out of sorts’ and was worried about me. The midwife with her came out to the waiting room and found that my blood pressure was 150 over 98. Far too high. Once again they decided to show me upstairs to a private room to do more tests and monitor me.

Once upstairs, the midwife put me back on a monitor, took my blood pressure and took more blood. Ross and Grace went off to make a cup of tea and fetch some biscuits. Once again, our baby was doing well. I managed to have a bit of sleep and, because we had a TV in the room, we passed a bit of time watching that.

I was taken off the machine. Then I provided another urine sample and then the doctor came to see me. He tested my reflexes, asked a few questions and, because my blood pressure was down to 124 over 74, they were happy to let me go once again.

I have to go back again a couple of times this week so that they can continue to monitor me – and I am extremely grateful that they are keeping their eye on things.

34 weeks + 5 days bump

I think that you can probably tell from this photo how exhausted I look this week. Ross has noticed the change in my face. It was also one of the things the midwife noticed today. I am trying my best to stay positive and upbeat and am so glad that I am being so well looked after. I am also pleased to say that I am now part of the Belo team. I am holding up one of their pregnancy cards in this photo.

A beautiful parcel

On Thursday I received a beautiful parcel from Mary, a blogger who writes over at Keynko. She and I have been in contact with each other regularly since Ross and I have been trying for our baby and she kindly sent me a letter and fertility brooch last year which I took with me to Spain. She was one of the first bloggers I told that we were expecting.

Mary is a talented crocheter and has very kindly made these beautiful baby clothes which include a colourful jacket, a hungry caterpillar outfit, a cute hat and some gorgeous booties. She has been so generous and I would like to thank her so much.

What’s Next?

This week I will be finalising that hospital bag. I am also back at the hospital for checks on both Tuesday and Friday this week to make sure that my blood pressure is stable and that I am generally healthy. 


If you enjoyed this post, please share:


  1. June 12, 2017 / 1:23 pm

    Oh my goodness! What a tough week! I’m glad you and the baby are OK and that the hospital is keeping such a close eye on you. Here’s hoping you have an easier week this week. X
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted..Think of the teenagersMy Profile

  2. June 11, 2017 / 11:06 pm

    Glad you like the crochet, it was lots of fun & I can’t wait to see him in them. Look after yourself sweetie xxxxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge