A Song for the Weekend #1 – Better Love Next Time by Rosabella Gregory ft Peter Cox

Welcome to A Song for the Weekend, a new, regular feature on my blog.

I am a big lover of music. I always have been. I used to read Smash Hits magazine at the age of 8 and memorise every single lyric printed – some of the first ones I can remember were ‘YMCA’ by The Village People and ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’ by Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Both of my Uncles ran a disco so, whenever we went over to my Grandads house – where my Uncles lived – I would go into the billiard room where the disco and all the records were stored, and have my own little karaoke session. I can remember thumbing through all of the 7 inch vinyl records, especially the top 10 which were put in order each week.

I had my own portable cassette player which I would take out into the garden on sunny days and play tapes which my Uncle had put together for me. Plus, I had an old record player in my room. It was huge! It was more like a table as it was encased in a wooden box on legs! My first ever album was a Top of the Pops compilation with Legs and Co on the front!

What I have decided to do is share some music memories and one of my favourite songs each week – usually one that I have been listening to regularly or one that I have found recently.

The first honour goes to Rosabella Gregory featuring Peter Cox and her song ‘Better Love Next Time’. I interviewed Rosabella last year after I discovered this song, and now I am a big fan of her work. This track is beautifully written and features Rosabella’s gorgeous piano playing. Definitely one that I put on every time I want to relax in the bath.

Have a relaxing weekend xx

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. January 24, 2016 / 3:37 pm

I remember your interview with this talented lady and you know I’ll agree this is a brilliant first song for your new feature ๐Ÿ™‚

I think listening to music was the only thing that kept me sane as a teenager! Have you seen the Like Punk Never Happened blog? A brilliant man called Brian something is scanning every single issue of Smash Hits, it’s so good and makes me so happy seeing those old interviews and posters and song lyrics again! ๐Ÿ™‚

xox

• January 24, 2016 / 5:29 pm

Thank you so much Lisa. I haven’t seen that blog, no – I am DEFINITELY going to check it out though! xx
      Victoria recently posted..A Redwing Looks OutMy Profile

2. January 24, 2016 / 10:22 am

What a great idea for a series of blog posts Victoria. I am a big fan of music too. My iPod is one of my favourite possessions and most used… You’ve come up with some good songs for your first three weeks.

3. January 9, 2016 / 7:12 am

Hi Victoria, I went through a phase of buying a single a week and still have a box of vinyl singles in the cupboard (alongside some old Beano comics). My husband has tried so many times to get rid of them, but I won’t have it.

You must have spent Sunday afternoons looking forward to the charts too (why did that have to change?), with blank tape ready and fingers poised hoping to stop recording before the DJ spoke? I’ve never heard this song before, very mellow. Loved both YMCA and Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick…. They don’t make songs like that anymore (that makes me sound soooo old!).

Take care.

xx
    Debbie recently posted..Nikon D3200: My Very First โ€˜Grown Upโ€™ CameraMy Profile

• January 9, 2016 / 6:42 pm

Hi Debbie – this is exactly what I used to do!! Buy singles AND record the charts whilst pausing the DJ’s bit! I love that you can associate with this ๐Ÿ™‚ x
      Victoria recently posted..A Fading Orchid #AYearWithMyCameraMy Profile

4. January 8, 2016 / 1:16 pm

I love this feature, I find there is so much music avaiable to us now that it almost makes it more difficult to find stuff that is new to you, so i really welcome seeing new (to me ) artisits