Controlling Ways. A Poem

Controlling Ways. A Poem

I saw this week that a new law had been passed that will target bullies who control partners with ‘coercive and controlling behaviour’, meaning that they could receive up to five years in jail. Unfortunately, it came ten years too late for me but I am relieved for anyone who might be in this type of situation. My poem reflects that this week.

Controlling Ways

I woke up with a start on that cold November day
I remembered what had happened the night before
I wondered what he would say

Would he say it didn’t matter, I would be forgiven
Or would he make it all my fault
And I’d feel that life was not worth living

The silences and sulking made things hard to bear
Controlling me from who I saw
Down to everything I’d wear

You never ever saw it, you never claimed your part
It was always me and never you
In matters of the heart

It took time for me to see your controlling ways
But never too old to make a new start
Happiness for the rest of my days

Victoria Welton 11th January 2017

Prose for Thoughtmumturnedmom
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2017 Victoria Welton

1. January 14, 2017 / 6:09 pm

It’s so hard to acknowledge when it’s happening because to admit it can make us feel weak I think…so glad you have your forever happiness in a better place now my lovely friend 🙂 xox

2. January 14, 2017 / 12:53 pm

Brilliant words Vicky. They resonate, sadly, and while I left too, a long time ago now, it leaves a mark. You have captured the feelings very well, wonderful writing. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, and thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x

3. January 13, 2017 / 10:16 pm

What they said. I am so pleased you moved on and life is looking so very good for you now. Also love how you take time out to help others special lady

4. January 13, 2017 / 3:52 pm

I’m so glad this relationship has ended, no one should be controlled in this way X #prose4t

5. January 13, 2017 / 10:02 am

I am glad that this is being taken more seriously now, and glad you have got into a happier situation.

6. January 12, 2017 / 1:22 pm

Yes I agree with Sarah’s comment above and I’ve just shared on Twitter. Really difficult subject matter which you’ve worked with brilliantly xx #prose4T