A Kingfisher at Chard Reservoir

A Kingfisher at Chard Reservoir

At the beginning of the week I was on my own. Ross was away on business and Grace was away with her father. So, on Monday evening I set off for Chard Reservoir – a place I had been meaning to go for a while – and made sure I arrived in time for golden hour. It was so beautiful that I wrote a poem about it earlier in the week and shared a couple of the photos I had taken.

Whilst I was there, I got chatting to a lady who was clearly a frequent visitor. She asked me if I had seen the Kingfisher. I told her that I hadn’t and would probably be unlikely to. She also told me that there was a bird hide on the other side of the reservoir and I noticed when I left that it was open from 8am until 3.30pm. So, the next morning, when I couldn’t get back to sleep after waking early, I grabbed my camera and set off in time for the hide to open.

I had the place to myself and was mainly focusing on the right hand side of the hide. After around 15 minutes, I decided to get up and swap to the other side and, as I did, I saw a glint of blue. I knew it. It was the Kingfisher.

A Kingfisher at Chard Reservoir by Victoria Welton

I had originally thought that the T-shaped piece of wood was for measuring the water levels but then I realised as the Kingfisher sat there that it was there for him! He was there for around 2 or 3 minutes so I photographed on constant mode. I was lucky that I had my 300mm lens on the camera and that the shaking I experienced – due to the excitement! – didn’t show up in the end result. I managed to just about photograph him as he flew away. He was gone in an instant. I was so excited but there was no one to share it with so I texted Ross! And then came back and shared my experience on Facebook – worrying that, on the drive home, the SD card would somehow get corrupted! Thankfully not though.

I photographed on manual mode with autofocus using a 300mm lens. Aperture F5.6 and shutter speed of 1/2000 with auto white balance and auto ISO.

A Kingfisher flys away at Chard Reservoir by Victoria Welton

A Kingfisher at Chard Reservoir

OneDad3Girls You Baby Me Mummy ANIMALTALES Running in Lavender
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. August 29, 2016 / 8:10 am

On gosh – these are fabulous and lucky you. I have seen kingfishers but all too often just a flash of blue. Once, on holiday, we were on a boat and one settled a couple of meters away from us on the edge of the boat but there was no way we could get a photo.
    Thanks for adding these to #AnimalTales and apologies for being so late popping by – that thing called life got in the way!

2. August 20, 2016 / 8:50 pm

What fabulous pictures huni. Thanks for linking up to #PointShoot x

3. August 20, 2016 / 3:39 am

lovely shot of the Kingfisher flying off

4. August 17, 2016 / 3:30 pm

I am so envious that you got these shots! Never been lucky enough to get a Kingfisher…but I will! πŸ˜‰

Beautiful, and what a lovely sight, well done πŸ™‚ xox

5. August 17, 2016 / 1:14 am

As always your photos are totally on point. the colours in the Kingfisher are so beautiful and you capture their details perfectly.

6. August 16, 2016 / 9:11 am

These photos are absolutely amazing. The detail and colours are fantastic #pointshoot

7. August 16, 2016 / 9:03 am

What an amazing experience. Stunning photos. #pointshoot

8. August 14, 2016 / 6:09 pm

Fantastic photos Victoria – well done for capturing the kingfisher.

9. August 14, 2016 / 4:41 pm

Stunning photos! What a wonderful experience. Sounds like it was meant to be πŸ™‚

10. August 14, 2016 / 3:47 pm

Fabulous photos! We saw a kingfisher once but it was just a blur of blue. I would have been excited too if I had captured these. I always worry that some how the setting on my camera has moved and they will be ruined (which happened once). #MySundayPhoto
    Tara recently posted..My Sunday Photo – Week 32.My Profile

11. August 14, 2016 / 3:43 pm

Stunning pictures, I’m so glad you were able to catch the kingfisher. Such magical birds X #MySundayPhoto

12. August 14, 2016 / 1:19 pm

How wonderful, I have seen them near a local canal but they fly so quickly, just a dash of bright blue. Beautiful photo thankyou for sharing #MySundayPhoto
    Bear and Cardigan recently posted..#MySundayPhoto Number 33My Profile

13. August 14, 2016 / 9:08 am

You are so lucky, not only to see such a beautiful creature but to also capture it so well. Fantastic photo’s, they say the early bird catches the worm, well in this case the early photographer catches the bird πŸ˜‰

14. August 14, 2016 / 8:50 am

Wow. I’m not surprised you were shaking with excitement Vic. Gorgeous, gorgeous colours and perfect captures. xx

15. August 14, 2016 / 7:46 am

Stunning kingfisher. We’ve been looking out for one as we’ve never seen one in real life

16. August 14, 2016 / 7:23 am

So beautiful and such an amazing experience. Kingfishers have to be my favourite bird x

17. August 14, 2016 / 5:23 am

Wow and wow. Totally speechless this is an amazing shot of a beautiful bird. The colours are amazing. Fabulous capture, no wonder you were excited! #mysundayphoto

18. August 14, 2016 / 12:29 am

such a colourful bird and of course captured so perfectly. He looks so thoughtful and distinguished .

19. August 14, 2016 / 12:28 am

Wow, such a treat to see a kingfisher in the wild Lovely photos.

20. August 14, 2016 / 12:13 am

They are amazing pictures! The colours are unbelievably vivid. I don’t think i have ever seen a Kingfisher in real life, it looks like he is posing for you. I am brand new to DSLR so thank you for giving us the details. Have a lovely Sunday xx