Questions. A Poem About #Brexit

Questions. A Poem About #Brexit

I have already written a post about my thoughts on the result of the EU referendum but I just had to dedicate my poem for this week’s Prose for Thought to it as well.

Questions

Fighting, slighting, back biting
Blaming, shaming, proclaiming
Mocking, shocking, people blocking
Why can’t we all calm down?

Demonising, patronising, chastising
Slagging, bragging, some need gagging
A sideways glance then racist chants
What has been unleashed?

No plan, what a sham, don’t blame gran
No clear view, what a to-do, no way through
Stop the attack, find a way back
Who was it who did this?

Dropping, stopping, stomach knotting
Say farewell, I want to yell, not this dispel
I want to stay, not go this way,
How did this come about?

Stiff upper lip, cause I’m a Brit
See this through is what we must do
Stop the fight, try with all our might
One big heartache, dreadful mistake
Can we face fact and change our tact?
When will this all end?

Victoria Welton 29th June 2016

Prose for Thought
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. July 5, 2016 / 10:40 pm

All very good questions, and beautifully posed, as always! #Prose4T

2. July 1, 2016 / 1:22 pm

I agree 100% with you. I just saddens me what is going on. I haven’t published my post as I just can’t put it into words like you have so well xx

• July 2, 2016 / 11:29 pm

Thank you Tracey. I had to get something down on paper which expressed this situation – and even now it isn’t enough! x
      Victoria recently posted..Unboxing the Num Noms 2 SeriesMy Profile

3. June 30, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I thought this was absolutely brilliant. I wondered if you might write about Brexit and I hoped you would as I haven’t been able to – I just couldn’t find the words. This is great – I love your use of language, especially the first verse. And I love the fact that you convey your sentiment so powerfully in your words. Loved it x #Prose4T

4. June 30, 2016 / 3:54 pm

I am so with you on all of this. Your feelings are so well expressed and the poem has a rhythm that gives a sense of things marching onwards in a kind of desperate way. The political (and social) situation is awful in Britain at the moment isn’t it? Such a mess. Well done for articulating it so well. #prose4t xx

5. June 30, 2016 / 12:18 pm

Absolutely. I love the rhythm of this, it brings out all the feelings of frustration. The whole thing terrfies me frankly, where are we heading? A place where the likes of Trump celebrate? Great poem, sums it all up.
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..Our Summer Bucket ListMy Profile