Taking Stock

Taking Stock

Today is my birthday. I am 45. It is a strange sort of feeling as I plan to live to at least 90 so I am looking it as though I am halfway through my life. I could look at that as a negative thing, but I really am not. I have already had such a full and varied life and I feel that I have so much more to learn and achieve. In the past year I have found a new hobby which I am completely in love with, I have experienced new things – both positive and negative – but they are all learning experiences. Things which continue to shape and mould me. I feel that you never stop learning throughout your life, there is always something new to experience and that is what makes every moment special. For too long now I have been looking at what I don’t have instead of focusing on what I do. Well, no more. I have so much to live for and I am so much luckier than I realise sometimes.

Taking Stock

I am still here and I’m still going strong
I’ve lived half my life – though I could be wrong!
I feel today is a day to take stock
I’d like to take a look at what I have got

I know to myself I have a duty of care
I need to step up and make sure I’m there
I am there for the people who mean so much
I need to live in the moment, not so out of touch

I’ve got my health for which I am grateful
I’m rid of all of the ones that are so very hateful
I have a man who loves me just for me
I have a daughter, happy and carefree

I have my poetry, it keeps me sane
I can say what’s going on inside of my brain
I love photography, learning more and more
I now understand what Photoshop is for!

I have my vlogging to say how I feel
I tell the truth and I like to keep it real
I may not have achieved what I set out to
I won’t let that stop me in all that I do

I have my hearing and listen to all types of music
I love pop, I love rock and even acoustic
I have my sight to see the sun rise and set
I never take it for granted that it’s an asset

I am able-bodied and need to respect it
I have started to run more and am getting fit
I enjoy a good meal and a glass or two
All things in moderation is what I must do

I have lived the last two as wilderness years
I held onto negativity and felt too many fears
I am now turning all these feelings right around
I may have been lost, but now I am found

Victoria Welton 18th May 2016

Prose for Thought
mumturnedmom
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. May 23, 2016 / 3:24 pm

Happy Birthday again! Love this, very positive and uplifting, I particularly like the last verse, but really like how you’ve pulled in all the things that are important to you. Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..The Prompt: Week 116My Profile

2. May 23, 2016 / 8:47 am

Yes I think as we reach the “second half” of our lives we start to focus on what is actually IMPORTANT because the first half has brought us through what isn’t!! Have a wonderful birthday week – I really enjoyed your poem and think your outlook on life will have a very positive effect 🙂
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

3. May 21, 2016 / 5:40 pm

What a lovely poem, Victoria – so positive! You’ve really made me think of all that I have in my life too. I think when things get on top of us it’s really good to take stock and realise how lucky we are. You have so much, and have achieved so much that is good in your life, and you give out good stuff too! Keep it up, lovely lady xx #theprompt

• May 22, 2016 / 12:52 pm

Thank you Maddy. It was great to stop and re-think everything – very cathartic. Thank you for the words of support 🙂 xx
      Victoria recently posted..Sunset Over Chesil CoveMy Profile

4. Agent Spitback
    May 20, 2016 / 12:22 pm

Happy Birthday Victoria! “I need to live in the moment, not so out of touch” – too true, we need to live for the moment! Hope you had lots of cake!

• May 22, 2016 / 12:51 pm

Thank you so much – I did! 🙂 x

5. May 19, 2016 / 1:27 pm

What a wonderful celebration and reflection on all that you have achieved, and all that you want to do still. There is so much in there to celebrate and be proud of. I thought your last verse was particularly touching and the last line was really beautiful. Keep on doing whatever you’re doing cos it’s fab! 🙂 x #Prose4T

6. May 19, 2016 / 9:57 am

Good for you! Happy birthday for yesterday. So lovely to read about all the positives in your life. x

7. May 19, 2016 / 8:07 am

Belated happy birthday for yesterday. I hope you had a great day.

8. May 19, 2016 / 7:57 am

So true, a birthday always makes me look back and I’m guilty of not appreciating what I have and letting go of the past.
    Keep going with all your outlets and I hope you get your dream soon. X

9. May 18, 2016 / 12:08 pm

Your poetry, and photography, and vlogging are all amazing – keep going strong chuck, the world is your oyster! 🙂 Happy Birthday xx
    Steph Curtis recently posted..Siblings ~ May 2016My Profile