World Poetry Day 2016, and My First ‘Proper’ Poem

World Poetry Day 2016, and My First ‘Proper’ Poem

Today is World Poetry Day and I couldn’t let it pass by without writing a post about it. The 21st March was declared World Poetry Day by UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) back in 1999. The purpose of it is to help raise awareness of the reading, writing, publishing and teaching of poetry throughout the world and, as the UNESCO session declaring the day says, to “give fresh recognition and impetus to national, regional and international poetry movements”.

Poetry has been a big part of my life since I was a child. I think I first really noticed it in the lyrics of songs. As an 8 year old I would religiously flick through that week’s edition of Smash Hits and learn the words to all the latest song releases. The first two I can distinctly remember were ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’ by Ian Dury and the Blockheads and ‘In The Navy’ by The Village People. Since then I have had a big fascination with the written word and, in particular, poetry and lyrics with meaning. I can also remember trying to write my own songs in my room at around this time, however, it wasn’t until my early twenties that I started focussing on poetry on a bigger scale.

Writing meaningful words – whether they rhyme or not (although most of the time they do!) – means that I can get my feelings onto paper without saying any thing directly specific. One of the things that I truly love about poetry is the fact that you can express yourself in a more elusive way, plus it means that the text is open to interpretation and people can then take the words and use them for their own feelings or situation. This makes the prose accessible to everyone for their own use.

I thought, in view of all of this, I would share the first ‘proper’ poem I ever wrote. The words used are a lot more obvious than the ones I choose these days! It was written back in August 1994.

You Never Get Over Anything

You never get over anything
You usually just forget
And I haven’t woken up
But I don’t want to yet

I look at the person I knew yesterday
But I don’t know today
Why can’t you come back to me?
We’ve so much left to say

Hate is no justice
For the love you didn’t get
Wishes, they don’t come true –
I haven’t met one yet

And I was happy, or so I thought
Because my life had changed
But I lost the love I caught
And my happiness was deranged

Every time I see you
Don’t you know I want you more?
But to you that’s a closed chapter
Yet another locked door

To deny yourself that happiness
That love you feel’s a sin
Why can’t you unlock that door?
And close it once I’m in

There’s an emptiness I feel
Something missing, some part
Don’t you realise when you left
You took with you my heart?

But you can’t take my memory
The city will always be ours
Dancing on the steps pf the cathedral
One way streets, traffic jams, showers

And reluctantly, I will go
Because that’s what you want me to do
But I will never find the love
That feeling I had with you

Victoria Welton

Awards wording
Tots 100 Awards
BritMums BritMums BritMums
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. July 1, 2016 / 6:42 pm

Brilliant. But, like you say, you certainly laid yourself more bare back then. No bad thing though, sometimes the obvious needs to be spoken, and didn’t you speak it well?! Thank you so much for sharing this early piece 🙂 Superstar xox

2. Agent Spitback
    March 26, 2016 / 12:13 am

Wow, the poignancy of your first proper poem! I am impressed. I do not always write poetry but sometimes, an urge kicks in and the only way I can express myself and those particular thoughts is through a poem. Poems are so emotive and evocative, much like a good song, it just takes you and brings you on a journey and you don’t even need many words to do that. Thank you for sharing your first poem and hosting #Prose4T.
    Agent Spitback recently posted..A Bit of Everything Week 21My Profile

3. March 24, 2016 / 10:46 pm

I agree with your totally on the power of poetry. I’m so impressed with this as your first ‘proper’ poem! I found one a while back that I wrote as a teenager – it was the most embarrassing thing I’d ever read!
    Maddy@writingbubble recently posted..how I illustrated my poemMy Profile

4. March 24, 2016 / 11:48 am

Oh my word, you’re so brave to share your first proper poem, and it’s so good! Mine was burnt, along with my diaries, and that’s probably for the best!

• March 24, 2016 / 2:11 pm

Thank you Cara! That sounds like a shame – it would been interesting to have looked back at them to see how far you’ve come xx
      Victoria recently posted..All the Feelings of a MiscarriageMy Profile

5. March 24, 2016 / 11:39 am

Beautiful Vicky. I can feel your heartache in writing this piece. For me, poetry has the same purpose and reason that you describe. it’s a way for me to express myself without being so forward and direct. And as you mentioned, everything is open to interpretation with a poem (more so than prose anyway), so it also me gain new perspective–oftentimes one that I haven’t even thought about before. Thank you so much for sharing this piece with us on #proseforthought. It’s always so lovely to read through your pieces and others. It’s the best way to end the week.

• March 24, 2016 / 2:12 pm

Thank you Maria. You are so right, I love the way that people read different things into different pieces and adjust it according to their experiences. Thank you so much for your kind words, and for linking xx
      Victoria recently posted..All the Feelings of a MiscarriageMy Profile

6. March 24, 2016 / 8:09 am

Beautifully written and I can feel the raw emotion that you have captured within it. I agree that writing in rhyme (as I do with all of my posts) can allow you a greater freedom and almost a degree of anonymity from the words. I am far more confident writing in rhyme than just free script.

Excellent post and thank you for hosting #Prose4T
    Dawn x

7. March 22, 2016 / 7:49 pm

I love this, for a first ‘proper’ poem it’s very well written. It’s interesting how your style has changed to be less literal though. I agree that poetry gives you the chance to say things you might not otherwise by being able to be more cryptic (for want of a better word!).
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..On Writing and purposeMy Profile