Grow

Grow

Grow

See your flowers bloom
Every month you bring me joy
Grow strong and hold true

I am currently following a weekly course with Emma over at A Year With My Camera. I have previously shared two of my lessons (White on White and Black on Black and The Bokeh Effect) but this week is all about black and white and, because you can’t hide behind colour, the composition of your image becomes really important.

She suggested that we re-visit our photo collection which she asked us to choose in week one of the course and mine was ‘Orchids’.  I have 6 different orchid plants in our house and I love them all. They are something that brings me a lot of happiness and each one holds a memory for me.

As a result of the subject, I choose the orchid I have with white flowers and set it against a white background shining light onto it. It cast the shadow I had wanted in order to compose the image I was looking for.

To go with this image, I wanted to write a poem for this week’s Prose for Thought but as I am not so full of words at the moment, I tried my hand at a Haiku which you will find just under the photograph.

Prose for Thought Writing Bubble Running in Lavender mumturnedmom
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. April 28, 2016 / 11:09 am

Oh goodness, I’m still so very behind on blog reading πŸ™ I know this because I’m writing a haiku every day for National Poetry Month which means it’s April already!

Yours is super, as is your lovely orchid πŸ™‚ xox

2. February 24, 2016 / 10:49 am

Love your haiku and the photo that goes with it is stunning – what a gorgeous effect with the white orchid, the silhouettes of the orchids behind it and the shadows that they cast.

3. February 23, 2016 / 11:52 am

Wow Victoria what stunning pictures. I love orchids and they look just as beautiful in black and white x #MyCapturedMoment

4. February 22, 2016 / 10:55 am

Ooo I love this! I had to google what a Haiku is though! And I call myself a writer πŸ™‚

5. February 21, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Lovely to put a haiku with such a beautiful poem, you’ve inspired me for my own future posts (although don’t expect my photos to be so awesome).

6. February 20, 2016 / 9:06 pm

Beautiful photos Victoria, I just love Orchids they are so beautiful, I always have a couple in the house. I too am doing a photograph course and I am loving it x

7. February 20, 2016 / 9:18 am

I love orchids, it’s the only plant that I can actually keep alive. This is another stunning picture that really comes alive despite being back and white, it somehow makes it more real and delicate. Great Haiku poem, my granddad was a good poet, although he did more limerick poetry. Unfortunately I have not inherited his talents. Thank you so much for linking up to #mycapturedmoment xx
    Heledd – Running in Lavender recently posted..36 Week Pregnancy Update and Baby HaulMy Profile

8. February 20, 2016 / 6:58 am

I this this photo is amazing, the effect of light and shadow gives it real depth. And the haiku too has lots of depth even though it is only three lines. I remember doing them in English classes at school and not really getting the point of them but , now I think that the depth s the point. Thanks for sharing.

9. February 19, 2016 / 4:05 pm

Hi Victoria, your photo along with your Haiku are very Oriental. Orchids are such delicate flowers. We’ve been told that there is a place on the island where in the spring there are up to 50 different species of wild orchids growing. We are on a mission to find where it is!

xx
    Debbie recently posted..Maps And AppsMy Profile

10. February 19, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Beautiful photograph Vicky, your photography continues to get better and better and you’re definitely inspiring me to try harder with mine! And, I just love the haiku, somehow the spareness of the words is absolutely perfect for this subject. Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..The Prompt 102My Profile

11. February 19, 2016 / 1:55 pm

Such a beautiful picture, I love orchids. I have signed up to Emma’s course too, she is fab isn’t she?

Have a lovely weekend xx

12. February 18, 2016 / 11:56 am

I love the photo! I think black and white images are striking because of the contrast it provides and this is no exception. Thanks so much for sharing your image and your words with us and for hosting us on Prose for Thought this week. Have a lovely rest of your day, Victoria!

13. February 18, 2016 / 11:33 am

Amazing photo! I love that you’ve chosen the ones with white flowers, against white background and get the shadow. Very creative! #mycapturedmoment

14. February 17, 2016 / 8:29 pm

Great photo and I like the haiku too – I used to write a few of those but haven’t in ages – there’s something kind of soothing about writing in that form though isn’t there? Thanks for linking to #WhatImWriting

• February 17, 2016 / 11:47 pm

Thanks Maddy. You are right! I found it really soothing to write – I was trying to decipher how I felt about it but this is it! πŸ™‚ Thanks for hosting x
      Victoria recently posted..GrowMy Profile

15. February 17, 2016 / 7:48 pm

Beautiful photograph – and lovely words too πŸ™‚ I keep meaning to find the time to work on my photography. This sounds like a lovely way to do it x

• February 17, 2016 / 11:48 pm

Thank you so much Sophie. It is great fun πŸ™‚ x
      Victoria recently posted..GrowMy Profile