A Fading Orchid #AYearWithMyCamera

A Fading Orchid #AYearWithMyCamera

Just over a week ago I found a great new camera workshop called A Year with My Camera. This is taught by photographer, Emma Davies, who will be emailing a short lesson together with a project each Thursday. It is not too late to sign up over on her site – and then, all you need to do to get the previous lesson is to email her.

On Thursday we received our first prompt and it was to start a collection…of, well…anything really. People have chosen subjects such as the colour yellow, churches, insects, birds, sunsets, and so the list goes on.  You just have to build up a collection of the subject and you should be taking photos at least once a month.

After racking my brains for a day or so, I finally decided on orchids. I have six orchid plants in my house so I am certain to have at least something from one of them! It is easier than going out looking and it also means that I will be able to keep a record of what stage each one is at. They are all different colours too, just to add to the interest.

Upon the first anniversary of our miscarriage in 2013, I bought an orchid which now sits on my office windowsill. It was my gift to myself, a sign of remembrance. It is currently losing it’s flowers and I thought a fading orchid would make a great subject for my first image which you can see above.

Not only I am joining in with Emma’s course, but I am also linking to Debs at Super Busy Mum with her great new linky, Saturday Snapshot.

Super Busy MumYou Baby Me Mummy
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. January 18, 2016 / 9:26 pm

I love Orchids. Thailand signature flower is Orchid. But I don’t know much at it though. I just love it’s elegance and how delicate is it. I love the smells of it too. I like your idea of remembrance – it is significance and a great capture meaning. xx #Point+Shoot

2. January 16, 2016 / 9:43 am

This sounds like a great course to be a part of and I cannot wait to what else you learn from it. This is a gorgeous photo and thanks so much for sharing it with last week’s Snapshot Saturday! xx #SnapshotSaturday

3. January 11, 2016 / 6:49 pm

Beautiful and like the significance and idea behind it. I too have had miscarriages so know how painful and personal they are X #snapshotsaturday

4. January 11, 2016 / 5:15 pm

What a beautiful Orchid! Love the fact that you have captured it fading… #SnapshotSaturday x

5. January 10, 2016 / 8:35 pm

This is a gorgeous photo and so poignant with the reason you bought it. I love the light reflecting through it. Gorgeous. #SaturdaySnapshot

6. January 9, 2016 / 10:11 pm

Such a beautiful photo of your fading orchid and reading about your reason for buying it makes it even more poignant. I love the sound of the A Year With My Camera course – good luck with taking part this year.

7. January 9, 2016 / 2:53 pm

Hi Victoria, aww sorry I just remembered I was going to email you back, sorry lovely. Been a mad busy Christmas with my 2 eldest sons home from uni.. I agreed with your decision, great picks πŸ™‚

I love this picture, I need some help with my photo’s . Hubby brought me a really expensive camera for Christmas but I am still not too good at taking them. I need to check this out!!

Really hoping to see you at a blogging event this year, was lovely to meet you last year πŸ™‚ xx

Love your new look, it is beautiful. I bet you are so pleased with it πŸ™‚

• January 9, 2016 / 6:10 pm

Hi Claire, it’s OK I know what it’s like! Thank you very much. I look forward to seeing how you get on – really do recommend the Shaw Academy course – it is what I used last year and I haven’t looked back. I hope to see you again this year too. Thank you, I am so pleased you like it – I feel it is much more me! x
      Victoria recently posted..A Fading Orchid #AYearWithMyCameraMy Profile