Treat. A Photography and Poetry Prompt

Treat. A Photography and Poetry Prompt

Welcome to my latest poetry and photography prompt where this time the word is ‘treat’.

With Christmas creeping up on us, I found myself thinking about all the different treats that are on offer at this time of the year. Of course, it doesn’t have to mean sweets – the meaning of treat is an event or item that is out of the ordinary and gives great pleasure.

One of my greatest treats is seeing Grace decorate our advent tree. It is something that I bought from a second hand store when she was a baby. It has 24 drawers, each one holding a tiny Christmas decoration that you use to decorate the tree each day of advent. It also has a music box which plays ‘We Wish You a Merry Christmas’ as the tree turns.

My poem this week is based on the word treat from a food perspective. Poor Father Christmas has to go around eating mince pies, chocolates, shortbread and all sorts from lots of different houses. I decided to write a poem from his perspective on this!

Treat

He arrives there at the first house
A sleigh loaded, so complete
He creeps as quietly as a mouse
Oh look! He smiles. A treat

He pulls up at the next one
Snow crunches beneath his feet
Mince pies he spies, they look nice
He can’t resist a treat

The reindeer on the rooftop
As down below he creeps
He spots a carrot labelled Rudolph
He too deserves a treat

Sliding down the chimney
He meets embers holding heat
Some RisengrΓΈd is his greeting
A special Danish treat

Some they leave him milk
Or whiskey that is neat
Some they leave him port
But all of it’s a treat

On reaching the very last stop
He is close to admitting defeat
He spots the box of chocolates
Go on then, one more treat

The North Pole, Christmas morning
Belly full of pies and sweets
He issues the elves a warning
All I ask is no more treats!

Victoria Welton 2nd December 2015

Prose for Thought
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. December 8, 2015 / 11:41 am

I like the sound of the advent tree! Great poem I always imagined santa would get sick of all his treats πŸ˜‰

2. December 6, 2015 / 5:23 pm

I love the little Advent tree…very sweet πŸ™‚

Brilliant poem, good research there on what people leave, don’t think we ever progressed further than milk and a mince pie when I was a kid, the poor old reindeers went without!

How you’re ever going to caught up with those prompts I don’t know but I look forward to seeing and reading the outcome πŸ™‚ xox
    Lisa from Lisa’s Life recently posted..My Sunday Photo: Christmas BirdMy Profile

3. December 5, 2015 / 6:31 pm

Hi Victoria, what a beautiful advent Christmas tree, I’ve never seen anything like it before and would love one in our house (purely for me to decorate and NOT the children!).

The poem is lovely too, I can just see Father Christmas palm slapping his face ever time he sees yet another treat, but still managing to fit them in.

xx
    Debbie recently posted..Our Great Christmas Clear OutMy Profile

4. December 5, 2015 / 5:34 am

How lovely and festive. Images beautifully evoked, almost as seen through a child’s minds’ eye. Thanks for sharing X
    Susie Glasgowdragonfly recently posted..Atop Squall HillMy Profile

5. December 4, 2015 / 9:50 am

Brilliant. This one made me laugh Victoria. I loved imagining Santa with a full belly on Christmas morning. πŸ™‚
    Morgan Prince recently posted..Trust YourselfMy Profile

6. December 3, 2015 / 12:04 pm

This is great, I can totally imagine Santa feeling like that! lol!

7. December 3, 2015 / 11:20 am

I love the perspective you took on this. I could only imagine Santa eating his way through all the houses he visits…sounds enticing at first, but as your words prove, can be a bit daunting at the end. Your advent tree is beautiful. What a great tradition to keep doing as Grace grows.

I wanted to leave a comment on your farewell announcement to PoCoLo, but I feel it would be untimely at this point (it was more than a week ago), so I figured I’d express my sentiments here.

It’s sad to see the linky go. I loved it so much and was one of the first linkys I joined because it promoted such a genuine connection with others. I met so many wonderful bloggers on there, and learned so much from them, and from you as a host. I know it’s hard to let go of something that’s been a part of your blog for so long, so I just wanted to say thank you. For giving us a slice of your space every week, for allowing us to share, connect, and converse. And most importantly, for being a great example of how to be a gracious host and a supportive blogger. Pocolo will be missed on here, and whoever takes over will be lucky to follow in your footsteps, Victoria.

As always. Thank you–for everything you do for your readers, for your creativity, and your support. Hope you have a great rest of the week!
    Maria recently posted..How to Avoid Making Mean and Negative Comments on Controversial PostsMy Profile