Sunset. A Photography and Poetry Prompt.

Sunset. A Photography and Poetry Prompt.

This week’s photography and poetry prompt is the word ‘Sunset’ and I wanted to do something a little bit different…with the poem at least!

The sunset photograph is one of my absolute favourite photos in all that I have captured. It was only taken on my iPad Mini. It is a view from Ross’ parents balcony down in Portland, Dorset. A view over Chesil Beach. One of my favourite places to be.

The poem, as I said, is something a little bit different. I took the subject and looked at it from an elderly man’s perspective. This is not only in honour of my own Grandad – who is not here anymore – but also in respect of Ross’ Grandad whom he went to visit recently.

Sunset Over Chesil Beach

Sunset

Entering the last years of my life
It’s just me now, no more the wife
Time is slipping like grains of sand
My family come and hold my hand

Reflection on all I have said and done
Did I do right by my daughter and son?
Memories are an everyday thing
Reminiscing, oh what joy they bring

My body is failing, my mind’s still there
My home is now just one of care
The frustration sometimes shows itself
I’m not ready to be put up on the shelf

Time is the thing I can’t control
Did I do right and live life whole?
Death now sums up all my fears
As I look upon my sunset years

Victoria Welton 29th July 2015

Proseimagesmall_zps637beb08

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. July 31, 2015 / 11:14 pm

Very poignant poem Vicky. And sad! It’s certainly a reminder to live life to the full. Do and say what you need to and don’t have any regrets. #pocolo

2. July 31, 2015 / 10:11 pm

Such a beautifully written poem, which goes perfectly with the photograph. It’s very emotional and I hope in my later years, I will be reflecting on the joyful memories that I have. xx
    Ting at My Travel Monkey recently posted..Tic Tac Throw Dice Game GiveawayMy Profile

3. July 31, 2015 / 8:58 am

Beautiful and poignant poem and a good reminder to take stock occasionally and reflect on our life’s journey and whether we are focusing on the things that are important to us. I love the photo with the sunset ray streaming across the water – beautiful shot.
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted..The Friday Focus 31/07/15My Profile

4. July 30, 2015 / 7:06 pm

You’ve captured so much emotion here hon, really lovely poem. I can imagine a lot of elderly folk feel like this towards the end. Gorgeous photos too xx

5. Mrs TeePot
    July 30, 2015 / 1:07 pm

What a beautiful, yet sad, poem. Excellent writing.

6. July 30, 2015 / 1:03 pm

Beautiful poem and a poignant take on the prompt. Hoping when I reach my sunset years, I’ll have nothing but fond memories and no regrets. Lovely photo also! Thanks for hosting, Victoria! Hoping your week is going well 🙂