Calm. A Photography and Poetry Prompt.

Calm. A Photography and Poetry Prompt.

This week’s prompt is ‘Calm’. One I am certainly in need of at the moment. What with the end of the school year and starting a new job (in addition to everything else I do), everything has been a bit frantic.

Once a new routine is in place and everything has been scheduled, I am certain that this is going to calm down over the next week and then we can all get into a proper pattern at home. Plus, I can properly catch up on the housework which is in desperate need of attention!

This week’s photograph is the essence of calm to me. The sea can be rough and dangerous and carefree or, in photographs like the one below, it can be calm and serene like a millpond.

IMG_8199Calm

As I wrote this week’s poem, I could feel myself getting calmer! I hope it shows.

Calm

It’s a kind of calm
When you are tucked away for the night
When there is no one here to fuss or fight
When all around have disappeared
When nothing comes of that I’ve feared

It’s a kind of calm
When all those deadlines have been met
When I can stop and cease to fret
When I can see the wood for the trees
When I only have myself to please

It’s a kind of calm
When I can sit and not say a word
When I can talk and just be heard
Now I have someone who doesn’t shout
When I have nothing to think about

I dream, I hope, I wish, I will
Calm down, calmer, calmer still

Victoria Welton 22nd July 2015

Proseimagesmall_zps637beb08

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. July 26, 2015 / 5:31 pm

Brilliant; and not just because I can see the similarities between us! Beautiful photo too, that glistening sea looks perfect 🙂

Good luck with fitting a new job into your already busy schedule and I hope it all works out xox

2. July 25, 2015 / 8:04 am

I can really feel rest after reading every paragraph. I am always wishing that I can weave something as pretty as this. =)

#pocolo
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted..WOTW – HomeMy Profile

3. July 24, 2015 / 11:53 am

What a beautiful poem, it makes us feel calmer just reading it! Good luck on your new job and thanks for hosting #PoCoLo x

4. Mrs TeePot
    July 24, 2015 / 10:55 am

Beautiful calming poem, and I agree, the sea is very calming to look at when it is still.

5. July 24, 2015 / 8:46 am

That photo is gorgeous! A lovely calming post . Congratulations on new job! Very exciting! Thank you for your wonderful blog!
    #pocolo
    Mayhem Muddles recently posted..WHO DUNNIT?My Profile

6. July 24, 2015 / 8:06 am

Lovely poem and it really does make you feel calmer and calmer. Hope things settle for you soon. x
    Let kids be kids recently posted..PreparingMy Profile

7. July 24, 2015 / 7:44 am

I totally agree with the sea bringing on calm. I wish I lived nearer to the sea, I feel like I can breathe better when I am standing there looking out. #Pocolo
    Mummyandmonkeys recently posted..Pick ‘N’ Mix Fridays 24/7/2015My Profile

8. July 24, 2015 / 3:57 am

The last two lines are perfect, that’s what we all want isn’t it? I do hope you find some calm soon x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..The Prompt 75My Profile

9. July 23, 2015 / 11:26 am

This poem captures the essence of calm. I love the line, “…when I only have myself to please” That’s the exact definition of calm for me. Parents think about anyone but themselves throughout the day, but once everyone is tucked in, there’s nothing like the feeling of spending time with yourself. And going about your night with just you in mind. It’s pure heaven. Thank you for sharing this, Victoria, and for hosting us this week. Hoping you get some semblance of calm soon 🙂
    Maria recently posted..My 5 Unforgettable Parenting Moments (And What I Learned From Them)My Profile