5 Examples of why F should NOT replace TH.

5 Examples of why F should NOT replace TH.

I have been meaning to write a post about this for some time. The decline of our English language is bothering me…and what makes it even worse is that no one seems to be correcting our youth.

Let me give you just 5 examples of why F should NOT replace TH. First the actual word, then the word that people seem to replace them with.

1.Three.Free

This is open to a lot of confusion. Especially if you are going to work within the finance industry. You could lose your company a LOT of money!

thrill and frill

I was always lead to believe that a frill was something you found on a dress or cake!

thought and fought

How on earth can you say ‘I fought’ and not sound like you have been in physical combat?

Thirst.First

Say this after me ‘Three Thirsty Thieves’ – NOT ‘free firsty fieves’! How on earth can that mean anything?

Thin Fin

You are getting ‘finner’ or want to be ‘fin’? What are you? A fish or something?!

I think you are getting the gist here! Our language is slowing sinking into a shameful depth of decline.

Thankfully (or maybe that should be ‘fankfully’?!) Ross and I made sure that we corrected Grace at an early age. We even recall her coming home from school to tell us that she had had to explain the ‘three’ and ‘free’ situation to one of her friends.  During Year Two her teacher, Mrs King, did correct the children on their ‘th’s’ but now Grace is telling us that many of the teachers aren’t and, in fact, a number of them also can’t say their ‘th’s.

Please, if you find your child mispronouncing their ‘th’s’, please correct them. Otherwise, when they grow up, there is going to be an awful lot of people talking at cross purposes.

Does this annoy you? Do you have any examples of poor pronunciation?

I am thrilled to say that Verily Victoria Vocalises has been shortlisted for the Social Media Category at the Brilliance in Blogging Awards. I would love your vote to help me to get to the finals and to be in with a chance of winning. Simply pop over to http://bit.ly/1GBA8iG

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. June 7, 2015 / 8:05 pm

i don’t mind so much with children while they are learning but I despair at people who forget to pronounce a letter in a word, such as the T in butter or sound a K at the end of a word instead of ‘ing’ for example ‘nothing’

2. Wander Mum
    May 16, 2015 / 6:32 pm

It’s funny you should post this Vic, my daughter’s talking is brilliant now (she’s 3 in August) but I have noticed she hasn’t mastered the ‘th’ yet. It’s a lot of ‘f’ words. I’m already correcting her a lot but it must be the natural way to say it at the beginning – something I’d never realised. I guess some people just don’t teach it the right way hence why it creeps in. Hate it when things that aren’t pronounced properly – especially when a bit of teaching & help could fix it. Love your examples x

3. May 16, 2015 / 10:41 am

It does annoy me and I love your examples! πŸ™‚ x

I have a friend who texts ‘fanks’ instead of thanks, but, I know, at least I hope, he’s just being daft!

4. May 10, 2015 / 8:25 pm

I genuinely don’t even know where to start with what annoys me about speech, grammar and spelling these days (She says, sounding 98 instead of 28!) Misuse of apostrophes is a huge one, their, there and they’re being used incorrectly, Americanisms creeping in… I despair!xx #PoCoLo

5. May 10, 2015 / 3:06 pm

Hahaha! this made me laugh. You hear it everywhere don’t you! Pickle is such a good talker at such a young age. I would correct him, definitely! Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted..My Sunday Photo #18 2015My Profile

6. May 10, 2015 / 1:05 am

Drives me nuts too! It is one that a lot of children struggle with initially, but you just have to keep helping them with it x

7. May 8, 2015 / 3:46 pm

oh I am so with you on this Vicky! We live in an area where a lot of people can’t say th and it bugs the heck out of me. We are determined our kids will speak correctly. The worst of it is, some people I know have called their son Theo… but they pronounce it Feo. The mind boggles! xx
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted..Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal Water GardensMy Profile

8. May 8, 2015 / 2:24 pm

We have been doing a lot of work with rhymes lately. My little’s favorite is finding things that rhyme with “bucket”. she’s very clever
    Jeremy@thirstydaddy recently posted..I’m not a Sitcom DadMy Profile

9. Michelle Reeves (bodfortea)
    May 8, 2015 / 12:08 pm

Agree Victoria but I’m a bit ‘angry from Tunbridge Wells’ about the decline in grammer and speech altogether really – especially on the BBC! Grrrrr…. great post x #PoCoLo
    Michelle Reeves (bodfortea) recently posted..An interview with best-selling author Cheryl RickmanMy Profile

10. May 8, 2015 / 11:57 am

Oh Victoria, this is one of those topics that could get me going on a long rant. I ALWAYS correct my children and it drives me mad when they don’t speak properly. I hate the ‘TH’ vs ‘F’, I correct my children’s friends too. I can’t stand to hear it.

There’s also the wouldn’t vs wunt or couldn’t… (you see where I’m going). I HATE that. My boys WILL speak properly, if it kills me!

Great post Victoria.

PS: I’m shutting up now before I take over your comment section. πŸ˜‰
    Morgan Prince recently posted..Monsters Love Underpants Book ReviewMy Profile

11. May 8, 2015 / 11:18 am

YES! This drives me mad as well, and I know some adults who mispronounces these frequently. I don’t know if it’s frequent in the UK (I highly doubt it), but here in the states, people have also taken the liberties of saying “use” instead of you (eg: Use should really get your car fixed). I have no earthly idea why, but hearing it is like nails to a chalkboard. Thank you for sharing and hosting this week’s PoCoLo! Have a wonderful weekend
    Maria recently posted..3 Phrases All Moms Secretly Want to HearMy Profile

12. May 8, 2015 / 6:51 am

This is so true. When I’m older my mummy is going to make sure I pronounce ‘th’ correctly’ πŸ˜‰ #PoCoLo
    Baby Isabella recently posted..A toddler free day!My Profile

13. May 7, 2015 / 1:41 pm

I am so with you on this. Another one that annoys me is ‘has’ and ‘as’. How can you mic these two words up? I think it looks even worse when it written incorrectly too.

14. May 6, 2015 / 10:24 pm

I hate it too. I’ve been picking up N on this exact thing. It’s driving me insane. He won’t even repeat it back to me – I think because I’ve pointed it out. Although he is tongue tied slightly, the speech therapist who assessed him 18 months ago said his sounds were all correct, so I’m hoping it’s sloppiness and I can correct it by me speaking more slowly and clearly, repeating what he says correctly. Otherwise it’s just going to wind me up forever!
    Emma T recently posted..Swimming cap dilemmas, and how to put on a swim hatMy Profile

15. May 6, 2015 / 7:27 pm

have to say I pick up the grandchildren on mispronunciation but it annoys their mum that I pick them up she says to leave them, but I think it is like a lot of other things ( people that never iron, kids that never polish shoes) this generation are just plain lazy and anything for an easy life.
    But then my grandfather always wore a shirt and tie and would turn in his graves at tv presenters looking scruffy and standing with their hands in their pockets but that seems to be acceptable now as well.

16. Ashley Beolens
    May 6, 2015 / 6:16 pm

One of my pet hates is F instead of TH, it’s just laziness. You are spot on with this post, excellent πŸ™‚
    Ashley Beolens recently posted..Bank Holiday WalkMy Profile

17. May 6, 2015 / 3:55 pm

Completely agree, (though I must admit some of the images did make me giggle) I am really keen to make sure that Boo pronounces things correctly (in both English and Danish) I think it is key that both parents and teachers help children with things like this.
    Jenni – Odd Socks and Lollipops recently posted..One of a parents worst nightmares…My Profile

18. May 6, 2015 / 2:08 pm

I worked in special needs and within a speech therapy programme had to try and teach a child to pronounce their ‘th’. He could only say ‘vu’ instead of ‘the’. It’s stuck with me and was always correcting the kids, if he managed it anyone could!
    Ali @ Mum in a nutshell recently posted..Teenager unpluggedMy Profile

19. May 6, 2015 / 1:22 pm

Oh yes – I really think you’re spot on with this. I know children struggle initially with these sounds, but I think it would be great if parents and teachers helped them more … because like your examples show, there are some very different meanings when the initial th sounds like an f, and it can make it hard to learn to spell