Free ‘Healthy Eating For Children’ Workshop

Free ‘Healthy Eating For Children’ Workshop

Today, I have a guest post from the very knowledgeable Dr Olena Kerek. She blogs over at Snotty Noses and has been a regular linker to #PoCoLo. She is here to tell you all about a brand new FREE workshop she is running to help promote healthy eating for children.

smile2

Do you find feeding your children a healthy diet tricky? You want them to eat lots of lovely tasty fruit and vegetables but they prefer cookies and chips. In the name of variety, you try lots of new and exciting recipes, but they’re always met with howls of ‘yuck’ and unceremoniously shoved away. Eventually they pick out the pasta and leave the vegetables on the side. And time. How do you find the time to cook healthy food?

That’s how my life used to be. Picky eaters, a bad diet, introducing food was a disaster and
ALL I thought about was how to get them to eat healthy food. Obsession was the word my
husband used.

Things are different now. I’m not going to lie to you and tell you my children have great table
manners and that dinners are a sedate, tranquil affair. I have 4 children aged 6 and under. Two year old twins. Their manners are quite frankly a disaster. No going for dinner with the Queen for us!

BUT, I don’t worry any more. I know my kids eat healthily. They eat vegetables. They try new
foods. They eat more than just pasta. There are no more howls of yuck and screams of despair. No more fighting over whether or not they get pudding. No more coercing. No more “just one more bite”. And yes, I think about what I’m going to feed them, normally about 5 minutes before I actually cook it. They get healthy, home cooked food every single day. I don’t do junk any more. I spend about 30 minutes every day cooking. I cook easy, healthy tasty food that my children eat, generally without complaint.

How did I do it? How did I transform our lives?

There’s no secret, just a few simple rules. Rules for us, not the kids!

1. NO pressure. If my children don’t want to eat something they don’t have to.
  2. I offer them healthy food through out the day. If they want it, they eat it. If not, they wait
    until the next healthy food opportunity.
  3. Dessert is not tied up with how much dinner they ate. We have dessert on Friday and
    Saturday. It doesn’t matter how much they eat.
  4. I offer variety. Lots of different healthy vegetables. They just don’t eat the ones that they
    don’t like.
  5. I KEEP offering variety and new things. It takes time to accept something new and kids
    don’t like new. They like familiar.

That’s it in short. I have HEAPS more I could tell you. Why not come and join me at the next
free workshop?

FREE Healthy Eating for Children Workshop

If you’d like to know more about how you can feed your children a healthy diet without stress,
here’s how I can help. Firstly, I have an awesome FREE workshop that you can attend. We’ll look at how you can help your children. It’s totally free, you can come, you can learn and that’s it (there’s a recording if you can’t make the live session.)

Healthy Eating for Children Course

I also do an awesome online course, which is not free. But it is great. It’s $350 which does
sound a lot if you compare it to a book. But if you think of giving your children the gift of a healthy life…remember that nothing in life is guaranteed, but there are things that you can do to increase your chances and healthy eating and exercise are up there at the top. If you could give that gift to your children, it’s a small price to pay. Think of it as the road map to stress free healthy eating. If you want to know more about the course…check out this page.

Just want to come along to the free session? It would be great to see you. Just register here.

orlena2Dr Orlena Kerek

I am a paediatric doctor and mother of 4 small scamps. I write about helping children to eat
healthily, without lots of stress and worry. It’s all about building healthy habits that last a lifetime.

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. February 16, 2015 / 8:50 am

I think of getting my kids to eat stuff I want them to eat as a sort of extended game of chicken. Currently we are playing this with vegetarian dishes. I have worn them down on the topic of beanburgers, but lentils are still a bit of a step too far for them. You are so right that familiarity is the key. Give me a few more months…

Works on my husband too, btw. Took me ages to get him to eat spag bol, but now he is cautiously willing to admit that he quite likes it.

2. February 14, 2015 / 3:14 pm

Really interesting post. We have been trying to follow steps like this with Monkey for a long time, with more success sometimes than others. We are back to coercing and bribing at the moment which isn’t great but I sort of working. May be time to try and reassert the rules again I think… Thanks for sharing! Xx
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted..RestMy Profile

3. February 13, 2015 / 8:50 pm

Great tips here, I think not putting pressure on them is a big one. It almost sends them in the opposite direction! I tend to have a main part of the meal – pasta or chicken for example which they all have (i gave up catering three different meals long ago!) but then I will have almost a buffet style of veggies, broccoli, baby corn, carrots etc. It usually all disappears because they like the fact that they can help themselves rather than having it put on their individual plates for them. That old independence thing.
    Xandi recently posted..That 70’s VibeMy Profile

4. February 13, 2015 / 8:19 pm

Great tips! It’s so important to get them used to eating healthily and develop good eating habits. It can be so tricky sometimes. I did baby led weaning with my daughter so think that really helped and I never pressurise her. If she’s not hungry or doesn’t like it, I won’t push it (well, only a little… if I’ve just spent the past hour cooking it)! Your workshop sounds great. Will do my best to catch it. #pocolo

5. February 13, 2015 / 3:30 pm

I love that you have set days for dessert! What a fab idea!!! I am going to use that. Both of mine are great eaters and I think it is because I have never forced them to eat, I only offer it regularly. Great tips!
    Katy {What Katy Said} recently posted..Dressing the Girls for Spring/SummerMy Profile

6. February 13, 2015 / 2:16 pm

Oh yes, the fussy eater… my son apparently eats so well as school but when it comes to me, he’s not so great but in fairness he’s not too bad and luckily he loves fruit. It’s taken a long time, but I definitely am getting better at letting go when he doesn’t want to eat something. Great tips here, though and what a wonderful idea. A workshop would be very good for those parents who are seriously struggling.
    Ting at My Travel Monkey recently posted..Reviewed: Hotel Sarroglia, BucharestMy Profile

7. Betty and the Bumps
    February 13, 2015 / 1:49 pm

Gwenn is nearly two and firmly in the “white carbs, white carbs, white carbs, chocolate” phase and while I don’t worry about how much she eats (I figure she wouldn’t starve herself) I do worry about what she eats, or doesn’t as the case may be! Lots of great tips here.

x

#pocolo
    Betty and the Bumps recently posted..On realising that “good enough” is good enough.My Profile

8. February 13, 2015 / 12:17 pm

I have been very lucky with my three children, as they eat almost anything. Having said that, my son is starting to show signs of becoming a little fussy, I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s just a phase. Great tips.
    Karen Bell recently posted..Conversations with childrenMy Profile

9. February 13, 2015 / 9:06 am

My little ones definitely go through picky eating phases although they are much shorter-lived when I don’t make any fuss about them. These sound like great tips for helping reduce picky eating and encourage children to eat more healthily.
    Louise recently posted..The Friday Focus – 13/02/15My Profile

10. Bloggermummylauren
    February 13, 2015 / 8:40 am

My children are really picky eaters, my daughter likes cheese sandwiches and sausages and that’s about it, she doesn’t even like chips! (I thought all kids loved chips!) the workshop sounds like it would be very helpful to parents.
    Bloggermummylauren recently posted..The School Trip MeltdownMy Profile

11. February 13, 2015 / 8:34 am

I think this workshop is a great idea, getting children (and parents!) to eat a healthy and balanced diet is not always easy. Also some parents may not know what is considered healthy and what isn’t.

Encouraging my children to eat a healthy and balanced diet was always something that was important to me. Learning good eating habits when young can set them up for a healthier eating habits when they are older. Keeping it simple, not making a deal out of things (not liking things and leaving food) and excepting that there will be dislikes, in my mind, helps. Also encouraging healthy eating from the start plays a big part too.

Great advice!