One of the staple meals in this household is most definitely chicken. Roast, curry, stir-fry, soup…the list goes on. So, when I received the latest Parragon Book for review I was very, very happy to see lots of chicken recipes! Definitely a book we can use on a regular basis.
The problem with eating chicken lots and lots is that we start to run out of ideas and things start to become a little bit boring – there is only so much curry you can eat! But mealtimes need never be dull again with Super Chicken! This cookbook will offer all you need to create delicious home-made meals with this most versatile of ingredients. With every cooking method covered and every food-stuff a suitable partner, whether you’re looking to create a classic or impress with something more adventurous.Flicking through this book though there is plenty of variation and ideas for what we could make instead.
The book is separated out into 4 sections: Starters, Snacks & Sides, Lovely Lunches, Chicken Dinners and Food for Friends.
I also really like that they have included some facts and tips intermittently throughout the book such as how to make stock, how to make different sauces like barbecue and satay and how to joint a chicken.
One of the things I enjoy after having a roast chicken is deciding what to do with the leftovers. Generally, it’s curry (!) but I’ve found this great recipe in the book for Pesto Chicken Pizza which I shall try next time.
Pesto Chicken Pizza
Makes: 2 x 26cm/10.5 inch Pizzas. Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- 2 x 26cm/10.5inch ready-made pizza bases
- 8 tbsp ready-made pesto
- 175g/6oz cooked chicken, torn into strips
- 100g/3.5oz canned sweetcorn, drained
- 6 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 250g/9oz mozzarella cheese, drained and roughly torn
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas Mark 7. Place the pizza bases on two baking trays
- Divide the pesto between the two pizza bases, spreading almost to the edges. Scatter over the chicken, sweetcorn and tomatoes. Top with the cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melting and turning golden and the bases are crisp underneath. Serve immediately.
Super Chicken! is a fantastic collection of mouth-watering chicken recipes to suit every taste and occasion. Featuring irresistible snacks and sides through to impressive dishes to serve at your next dinner party and everything in between, this is a wonderful addition to any cook’s bookshelf.