Is It Right to Holiday Without Your Kids?

Is It Right to Holiday Without Your Kids?

REThis morning I was on the Nick Ferrari show on LBC radio to discuss this article which appeared in the Daily Mail and whether it is right to holiday without your kids. Kate and William have gone on holiday leaving Baby George with Kate’s parents. I was very surprised to read how many people were dead set against it!  You can’t tell me that if you were in that position you would refuse a holiday to the Maldives?! I wouldn’t!

I understand that many people may be querying this because George is only 7 months old. Of course, at that age many women are still exclusively breastfeeding but what about the hoards of women who have to be back at work by then and are leaving their babies in Nursery? I was very nearly in that situation. You are then put into a position where you need to make a decision on how you feed. So the point is that we don’t actually know how Kate is feeding George.

At that age, babies only really know their parents as the care providers (further to Liska’s comment below, I must point out that what I mean here is that babies usually only know their parents as the ones who look after them and rarely anyone else)  but again, we don’t know Kate and William’s standing on this. They are carrying out royal engagements and working regularly so, who does George stay with when they are not there? Very possibly Kate’s parents. I know my Mum would be ecstatic about the chance to have exclusive time with my daughter. And I trust her implicitly. She has had 7 children and is a qualified Nanny. And, if you can’t trust your own parents then who can you trust?

As a child I have very fond memories of staying with both sets of Grandparents. I think as George gets older he will make the same memories – and if he starts this at a young age then he will get used to this very quickly. Kate and William will continue to have engagements which will increase one day when William becomes King.

My daughter goes away with her father. Bear in mind here that she has not lived in the same house with him since she was 3 months old and therefore she doesn’t really know him. She does feel sad when she goes away with him because she misses me. I miss her too. But when she comes back we both appreciate each other that much more.

I think, as a couple, it is important to have time away together from the children. My parents used to do it. It gives you the time you need to ensure that you still have a healthy relationship. That you are not just parents but are a loving couple too.

Nobody has the right to pass judgement on Kate and William’s parenting decisions. George is in safe hands and, because of the added security brief, is safer than most.

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2014 Victoria Welton

1. March 16, 2014 / 3:53 pm

I think it’s entirely up to the parents to decided what’s right for them and their child. Baby George is in excellent hands and i was a bit surprised at how many people thought it was ok to pass judgement on them. It’s not like he’s a newborn and they’ve jetted off and let him without bonding (then id probably judge :))
    Notmyyearoff recently posted..Silent Sunday / Project 52 – Week 11My Profile

2. March 12, 2014 / 7:30 pm

Great post, so true, parents have the right to have a moment to themselves I think it’s important for a relationship and marriage to do so. I think the child is in the safest hands with family so what does it matter. Kate and Will need their time away from it just as much as we do! That surprises me people were against it. I would have never gave it too thoughts about them leaving George with the grandparents.
    Jenny recently posted..Share With Me ~ wk 6My Profile

3. Louisa
    March 11, 2014 / 9:59 am

I firmly believe it’s the right of the parent to decide what is best for the family. As a stay at home mom I long for a little time to myself to just relax and recharge my batteries. My nuero illness is so much worse when I am tired so I feel no guilt that we plan a short break away without the children. They will have the time of their lives at the grandparents and we will come back refreshed and relaxed. Great post Victoria x
    Louisa recently posted..Things I love about my children.My Profile

4. March 11, 2014 / 6:18 am

I’m just going to come out and say it – generally I disagree with it, but each to their own. I think the royal situation is different – it has always been the way to leave children behind, it’s part of the job. I never went away with my husband without my children until a few months ago – when my kids were 12, 10 and 7. It was something I never wanted before, never missed and was never offered – even grandparents aren’t keen to have three children for a couple of nights.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted..Boys, girls and family historyMy Profile

5. March 10, 2014 / 7:52 pm

We have close friends that feel strongly on both sides of the arguement – some that go away regularly and others that would never leave the kids to go on holiday. We are a bit more in the middle of the arguement as I don’t think either way is ‘wrong’ as such. I must admit I would struggle to leave mine to go away without them – I would just feel too guilty to have a holiday without them, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t desperately crave a break away from them from time to time. Sometimes daddy just taking responsibility for looking after them at weekends is enough for me to feel human again. But then again we don’t have anyone who would look after them while we go away so we’ve never really had that as a realistic option. Perhaps if my mum was around then I would feel differently. x
    thebeesleybuzz recently posted..A Mothers Day gift from Hotel ChocolatMy Profile

6. March 10, 2014 / 6:35 pm

What’s right for a particular family is right for them, and plenty of people go away without their kids occasionally. I prefer to holiday with my son at the moment, but I wouldn’t rule out a romantic break with my husband when he is older! x
    Hannah Ruth recently posted..The Sublime Bump: 15 weeksMy Profile

7. March 10, 2014 / 1:42 pm

And as you know, I wholeheartedly agree with you! One point I did miss out on my post is that I think that I come back a nicer parent (for a while anyway!) – I miss my children and appreciate them just that little bit more when I come home. I reckon this probably cuts both ways 😉
    suzanne3childrenandit recently posted..Three Cheers for Grandparents!My Profile

8. March 10, 2014 / 1:08 pm

Great article, I love your insight. You are so right! A couple does need time away for themselves. They need to continue to build their relationship and if they are constantly surrounded with their children, it makes it a little more challenging to do so. I am a very big advocate for family vacations, I think it’s great for family building. But there also has to be a balance of time for mom and dad to build their relationship as well. Thanks for the post, it was very well written and I enjoyed reading it.
    The Funster recently posted..Where Did You Find That?My Profile

9. Lauren Holmes
    March 10, 2014 / 1:01 pm

Personally, it’s not for me. I would miss the kids way too much! It’s not that I wouldn’t trust anyone to look after them, I just wouldn’t be able to have fun because I’d be thinking about them constantly. I would rather we went away as a family, or not at all.

I don’t disagree with others doing it, so long as the child is in safe hands and it’s not going to disrupt or upset them too much then I can’t see what the problem is, if that’s what you want to do.
    Lauren Holmes recently posted..My Sunday Photo / Silent Sunday 09-03-14My Profile

10. Lauren Holmes
    March 10, 2014 / 1:01 pm

11. March 10, 2014 / 11:30 am

I listened this morning as you know. LBC would have been on anyway, but I set the alarm to ensure I did not miss it. You were well articulated and a natural public speaker, but as you know I am on the other side of the debate. Most of my parenting style could be labelled attachment parenting and as such I just couldn’t leave Aaron for a week and certainly not at 7 months. I have only ever had one night away from him which was BritMums Live last year and that was spontaneous not planned and he was with his Dad and by that time 3 years old.

I went to a work Xmas party whilst on maternity leave, when he was 6 months old. He was with my Mum and BF and was inconsolable. They did not tell me as they wanted me to have a good time as they knew I needed it. I came home at about 1 a.m.and he was so thrilled to see me he did not sleep till about 3 a.m. I was devastated as I had offered to come home at 11 but they’d pretended to me that he was fine.

This brings me on to what you say above: “At that age, babies only really know their parents as the care providers”

What does that mean? When Aaron was 1, 2 and 3 days old, in hospital, whenever he wanted the breast, he cried “Maaaaaa” – it is believed in yoga that Ma is the universal language free sound for Mother and I witnessed it first hand. I was definitely his Mum and not just a care provider, but maybe I have misunderstood what you meant with that line? Hope so.

Liska xx
    Liska @NewMumOnline recently posted..Summer weather in Spring. 9th March 2014 London.My Profile

12. Marissa@mamaknowsbest2
    March 10, 2014 / 11:27 am

I think it’s whatever you as parents feel comfortable with and what is best for you as a family. It shouldn’t be a judgemental thing as every persons family circumstances are different.
    Personally I could think of nothing worse than holidaying abroad without my son. For starters god forbid should anything happen I don’t have the luxury of a royal jet to get me home pronto! And I genuinely really miss him when we are apart. That probably stems from me being a full time working mum. When you are forced to be away from your children for 37.5hrs per week you don’t really want to use your annual leave unless it’s as a family. I went back to work when Little C was 6 months old and it broke my heart, he is looked after by granny and daddy, but soon to be starting nursery eeeek. xx
    Marissa@mamaknowsbest2 recently posted..#Silent Sunday 9/3/14My Profile