When I saw that Rangemaster were running a cupcake competition, Grace and I decided we needed to come up with something creative. We are really enjoying cooking in our new kitchen during the summer holidays – especially now we have a new kitchen with more space.
We decided that, since Grace thought that the Minions from Despicable Me 1 & 2 were hilarious, we would make a set of our very own ….to eat! We also wanted to ensure that the cakes we were eating were scrummy, yummy and, of course, chocolate.
So, here is the recipe for the Molten Chocolate Cupcakes:
175g/6oz soft butter
175g/6oz caster sugar
3 Large eggs
250g/9oz self-raising flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
175g/6oz plain chocolate
9oz White fondant icing
2 tsps of blue, black and yellow food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5. Put 9 paper baking cases in two muffin tins.
- Put the butter, caster sugar, eggs, flour and cocoa powder in a large bowl and beat together using a hand or food mixer until smooth.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the paper cases. Using a teaspoon, make an indentation into each of the cakes in the centre. Break up the chocolate evenly and place a piece on the top of each indentation. Spoon the remaining cake mixture on top.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until they are well risen and springy to the touch. Leave the cakes to cool.
- Whilst cooling, divide the white fondant icing with each of the food colourings and place each piece in the fridge in order to harden them up.
- Once the cakes are cool and icing has hardened, cut out a yellow circle for each cake to form the Minion and a blue semi-circle for their dungarees. Using a knife cut out the straps for the dungarees and use the back of the knife to form the ‘bottom’.
- Use your fingers to roll pieces for the eyes and goggles.
- Serve – for a naughty treat – with cream 🙂
We really enjoyed making these cakes and are really proud of our end result, including the Minion’s ‘bottom’ cupcakes which we really had a good laugh at!
We have entered this cupcake creation into the Rangecooker cupcake creative competition. If you would like to enter then hurry – the competition closes tomorrow, 12th August, for a chance to win a Rangecooker.
We would love to win a brand new cooker for our new kitchen to use to make further creations like these 🙂
I’ve also linked up to a Mummy Too and her #recipeoftheweek.