The Difficulty of Finding Maternity Wear on the High Street

The Difficulty of Finding Maternity Wear on the High Street

This week is half term and, on Tuesday, Grace and I decided to have a girly shopping day in Taunton (this and Yeovil are our nearest big towns). Grace wanted to spend some of her Christmas and Birthday vouchers and money and, at 18 weeks pregnant and an ever-increasing bump, I was in need of some maternity clothes.

The last time around

When I was pregnant with Grace I became HUGE during my pregnancy. It wasn’t that easy to find things to fit me and the choice that I had was limited. I spent much of my time in some large, over-the-bump, stretchy black trousers from the Blooming Marvellous range in Mothercare – I kept them as I loved them so much and am wearing them this time around too. Although they seem to be much looser!

I was also a regular in Debenhams as I loved their Red Herring maternity range and found their prices extremely competitive. I did keep a couple of their summer tops and intend to wear those when the weather improves.

A great start

The first shop that we went to when we arrived in Taunton was New Look. This was mainly because Grace had a voucher which she wanted to spend and because it was closest to the car park. As soon as we walked in the door, we were faced with the maternity section so I had great hopes for the other stores we were going to find.

New Look had a sale on and I purchased a gorgeous black floral print chiffon shirt (pictured below) reduced from £22.99 to £11. I already have some long maternity tops which would look fine underneath. I also bought a two pack of their black maternity leggings for £14.99 and I have to say they are really comfortable.

The Difficulty of Finding Maternity Wear on the High Street

Limited choices

From that point on, however, it was downhill I’m afraid. After we had done everything that Grace had wanted and paid a visit to Subway for our free lunch, we went to JoJo Maman Bebe to return some maternity tights which didn’t fit. These were a large size and cost £8. They didn’t have anything bigger and I certainly don’t class myself as hugely massive (yet) so goodness knows how people bigger than me are coping.

I was going to exchange them for some maternity knickers as my normal ones were getting very tight. Then I noticed that a 3-pack of pants was £14! Talk about a taking advantage of a captive audience. I checked out the rest of the maternity wear and kind of felt deflated. I had already looked on eBay and hadn’t really seen anything I liked. Everything I liked here was out of my price range – and I was even more reluctant to spend knowing that it would probably only fit me for about 7 months!

Alternative options

Of course, I still needed some new knickers so it was Primark to the rescue! We went there and bought 3 pairs of extra large stretchy briefs for £5 – needless to say I bought two packs.

I was determined to try further stores to see if they had maternity ranges. Next stop was Top Shop where I was told that they had nothing in store, everything was online – but they could order it in for me to collect for free (Taunton is around 25 minutes from us). Then Next and Dorothy Perkins stores followed the same policy.

Eventually we landed up in Debenhams where I was hoping that good old Red Herring would save the day. Wrong! Yet another place that no longer stocked their range in store, only online. What is it with this? One of the issues I have had is ordering things online and then religiously having to return them because they don’t fit. It is far easier to try on in the store.

Some success

The sales lady in Debehams said that I might find some maternity wear which had been ordered online but returned to the store so Grace and I ventured down to the basement level.

No such luck I’m afraid. But there was one particular label which gave me hope. Even though it wasn’t maternity wear, I found Blue Vanilla who offered plenty of oversized and longline clothing which suited a pregnant lady like me.

The Difficulty of Finding Maternity Wear on the High Street

Grace and I took a number of items off to the fitting rooms where I was able to try them on at my leisure. I bought a longline, oversized blue checked shirt for £10 in the sale and a gorgeous navy stripe chiffon dipped hem tunic top (pictured above) for £20. I also bought a lovely tunic from Tenki for £10 in the sale – which Grace loved!

All in all I found enough to keep me going but why should we have to pay through the nose for maternity wear and why don’t more stores stock it? Thank goodness for New Look and the brands which make items accessible for us pregnant ladies!

Have you had any issues finding maternity wear? Do you have any tips of where to shop? I would love to know!

MaternityMondays
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2017 Victoria Welton

1. February 25, 2017 / 12:14 am

Oh I totally know what you mean..I found dead it so frustrating shopping for clothes when I was pregnant. I have a lot of stuff from h&m as I quite liked their range..some stored had more of a selection than others though. It is annoying that most places only sell maternity online xx #maternitymondays
    Wendy recently posted..#BlogCrush linky – Week 2My Profile

2. February 22, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I had a similar experience to yourself with finding maternity wear. I really don’t like to buy clothes online because I would rather try them on and not have to faff about returning online stuff that isn’t right. The only stores I found this second time round that actually stocked maternity was new look and H&M, and mothercare of course. Really infuriating! #maternitymondays

3. February 22, 2017 / 11:11 am

Totally agree! I bought most of my stuff from Asda and Peacocks in the end, but the real life savers for me (particularly towards the end) were the bump bands I got in New Look x

#maternitymondays

4. February 22, 2017 / 10:38 am

I’ve found it so difficult, I’ve had to buy everything online in a few sizes and returning those that don’t fit. It’s so frustrating though, one shop assistant told me maternity wear wasn’t worth the floor space it would take!

5. February 21, 2017 / 5:44 am

Oh it is so annoying. I think you were lucky to find anything in New Look-my local one has no maternity wear. The only place I found near me was H&M but even that was limited. Sometimes you just want to see the clothes and feel them. During my first pregnancy, big ASDA’s stocked maternity too but not any more. You’re not telling me there are less pregnancy women, surely there are more. We should start a campaign 😉 #MaternityMondays
    farmerswifeandmummy recently posted..#MaternityMondays February 20th, 2017My Profile

6. February 20, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Not being able to find Maternity wear on the high street was a real bugbear of mine, they put it all in stores when I was pregnant with Isaac and Eliza and by the time I had Sebby they had taken it back out again. Love the Blue Vanilla top

7. February 18, 2017 / 9:59 am

I love that top from New Look – I’d wear it even though I don’t need Maternity wear 😉

I found Mothercare the only place to shop on the high street really but that was 12 years ago now xx

8. February 17, 2017 / 3:48 pm

I LOVE that New look dress/top. I think that when I was expecting it was all Mothercare or online from gap. You can get quite a lot online, but no so on the highstreet,

9. February 17, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Aww I know I have said it before but I’ll say it again Vic – huge congratulations on your very happy news – what a blessing to be buying maternity wear! It sounds frustrating when you have geared yourself up to go shopping and wanted plenty to choose from to be told to look online, but I guess these stores are hoping that the mum to be will shop at her leisure with her feet up and a mug of hot chocolate to kit herself out! At least you did well in New Look – I love your floral shirt and the fact that it was on sale – bonus! Good luck finding your new things xx
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted..It’s all about the moments #MarkWarnerMumMy Profile

10. February 17, 2017 / 11:29 am

I remember buying my maternity wear from H&M but that was quite a while ago, I don’t know what they would be like now. I love the pieces you did find though.
    Anne recently posted..Word of the Week – RecoveryMy Profile

11. February 16, 2017 / 9:09 pm

I think that finding maternity wear was one of the hardest things about being pregnant. I bought a lot of my stuff from Mothercare but it was all really quite expensive and towards the end I think I was living in about two outfits. It has been a while since my last pregnancy but it is disappointing to hear that things haven’t really improved.

12. February 16, 2017 / 7:07 pm

I am glad you were finally able to find a few suitable clothes. Shopping can be hard work when you are pregnant and looking for clothes for your self and your kids. Your post brings back memories!! I was pregnant a century ago and I remember not being able to get any trousers to wear. My feet used to swell up and shoes was another item I could never buy. I ended up wearing flip flops a lot of the times!!