These Days Are Fading – an end of school year poem

As we come to the end of the school year, I am finding it so hard to accept that Grace is finishing first school and moving on to middle. I well up just thinking about it and, I can’t really explain why, but I get really emotional. I said in my song for the weekend post last week that I kept crying at the Leavers Service at the church and I am sure to do the same next Wednesday at her Leavers Assembly. I had to get some of this emotion out in a poem this week (and yes, I even cried as I wrote this!).

These Days Are Fading

The final days are coming around
But arriving far too soon
I am not ready for you to leave
Somehow I fail to attune

You are growing up so fast
Was I ever prepared for this?
Just a wave now as you leave
Rarely a hug or a kiss

So now these days are fading
The ones where I walk you to school
When you move up and move on
Mornings take on a different rule

Your needs from me will change
I will take on a different role
Remember I am always here for you
Girly chats are good for the soul

Emotions they will run deep
As puberty takes a hold
But I will never waiver
However feelings may manifold

Not much left now of my first school girl
I try to capture every minute
Each step as we talk about everyday things
I try to remember the feelings in it

Such a bittersweet feeling this
Knowing soon this time will be gone
But watching you grow towards adulthood
I know these memories will forever live on

Victoria Welton 13th July 2016

Prose for Thought
Share the Joy linky at TheJoyChaser.com And then the fun began...
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. July 17, 2016 / 8:22 pm

Aw – it’s such a bittersweet moment isn’t it? I think I will find it really weird when my youngest moves up to Junior school – knowing that those lovely infant school days are gone forever – that’s not for another three years though! At least it’s not Secondary!! Thanks for linking up to last week’s #thetruthabout by the way πŸ™‚

2. July 17, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Beautiful and encapsulates time and change bang on. They change every time my son starts school in September it is going to be amazing to see his transformation X #proseforthought

3. July 15, 2016 / 4:49 pm

Yes, a very touching poem, I totally feel your pain and the emotions running through it, as the mum of 2 tweenagers it feels like their Primary school years are whizzing by! My son will go to big school in 2018 so I’m hanging onto all the ‘childishness’ now. Makes me feel emotional too. I think it’s about living in the present as much as possible until the teenage years and then who knows? #a scary business!!!! #prose for thought

4. July 15, 2016 / 10:46 am

Such a wonderful, touching poem. I can feel the emotion! Beautiful.

mainy x
    mainy – myrealfairy recently posted..The SilenceMy Profile

5. July 14, 2016 / 10:29 pm

That’s lovely and I can definitely identify. She will still be your little girl inside and will need you just as much (even if she doesn’t always show it)

6. July 14, 2016 / 9:46 pm

Having been at a tearful leaver’s assembly tonight I can relate to this! I’m not sure whether the kids or parents were crying more. My son is a little older so is off to secondary school but I have friends near where you are whose son is also moving on to middle school.

7. July 14, 2016 / 3:16 pm

What a beautiful poem Vicky and I can so relate to these feelings of growing up too fast and moving on to new chapters. I’ve been very emotional this week with Jessica leaving preschool and goodness only knows what I will be like on the first day of school. I love your questioning about whether you were ever prepared for this with regards to Grace growing up so fast – definitely a feeling I can relate to – and trying to capture every minute. Good luck with trying to capture as many of those memories as you possibly can. Thank you for hosting #Prose4T
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted..Parenting Pep Talk #22 – Newcastle Family LifeMy Profile

8. July 14, 2016 / 10:58 am

Oh Victoria! Even though my daughter is just starting school this year, I can absolutely relate to this. Im trying to hold on to as much of our simple days as possible, but it’s tough! I imagine it’s tough for every mom who is going through every stage of it–whether it’s shifting from school to school, and even going off to university. Thank you for sharing this with us. It’s an honest and beautiful reflection for every parent to relate to. So glad I was able to join Prose4T this week!

9. July 14, 2016 / 9:05 am

Such a beautiful poem and can totally relate to your feelings! It’s hard in areas with middle schools that kids have to leave so early! My daughter has another year left of primary and my memories of her brother leaving a year ago are still way too fresh in my mind! I’m not sure I’ll cope with leaving the school after 12 years as a parent there!

• July 14, 2016 / 10:37 am

Thank you so much Sarah. I definitely think that leaving first to go to middle school forms character building πŸ™‚ And that is a plus to me. I will still miss lots of people though! x
      Victoria recently posted..Prose for Thought Thursday 14th July 2016My Profile