Two Halves of Me – Day 15 of National Poetry Writing Month #NaPoWriMo

Day 15 of National Poetry Writing Month. I’ve made it to half way! Yay! Once again I am using today’s prompt on the NaPoWriMo website. Because today marks the halfway point they have challenged us to write a poem that incorporates the idea of doubles. My take on this is my feelings at the moment. Since the failure of our egg donor treatment, my feelings are really conflicted. I have good days and bad days. Mainly good – but I never know from one day to the next what is going to affect me and how I am going to take things (pregnancy announcements are a prime example). One day I am fine about it and the others I just want to sit and cry. My poem is called ‘Two Halves of Me’.

Two Halves of Me

One half of me knows what to do
The other is feeling sad
Why is it that I’m torn in two
Because the good turned bad

I try hard and I struggle
With the feelings deep inside
On occasions, I need a cuddle
But at times I want to hide

There are days when I jump for joy
Whilst others I feel so sad
Wear a mask, well that’s my ploy
Shield any day that’s bad

My brave face is more constant
Than the sadness that I’m feeling
But I’m not always as content
And sometimes I’m left reeling

A minefield of sentiment
You ask me how I cope?
I accept each element
And live in constant hope

Victoria Welton 15th April 2016

logo-napowrimo

mumturnedmom
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. April 19, 2016 / 7:36 am

This is so moving, on so many levels, and so cleverly written too. Beautiful and hugs to you x

2. April 19, 2016 / 6:42 am

Such a moving poem. I can’t imagine how it feels for you, but you are being so brave and it’s totally understandable that you have bad days. x
    Also, I think it’s amazing that you’re managing to write a poem every day, and they’re all so good!

3. April 18, 2016 / 4:56 pm

This is so moving Vicky, and although very sad, there is strength in there too. Definitely two sides to how you’re feeling. Thinking of you. Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..Outdoors: Snow Painting …in AprilMy Profile

4. test
    April 18, 2016 / 6:44 am

test

5. April 17, 2016 / 8:25 pm

I think you’re doing brilliantly with your poetry month and this is another poignant poem. Are you finding poetry is helping you get through this hard time? I hope so. xx

6. April 15, 2016 / 4:40 pm

That’s beautiful and sad and very true for a lot of us, I think, as we struggle with the ups and downs of life.

7. April 15, 2016 / 3:24 pm

Oh Victoria this is such wonderful writing, I feel really moved and get such a strong sense of what you are going through #NaProWriMo seems to be taking your writing from strength to strength #theprompt