A Poem to my Father – Day 11 of National Poetry Writing Month #NaPoWriMo

A Poem to my Father

Welcome to the eleventh day of National Poetry Writing Month. I found it tricky to get any inspiration today so I nipped over to the NaPoWriMo website and had a look down their prompts to see which one caught my eye. I have chosen their Day 9 prompt where the challenge is to write a poem that includes a line that you’re afraid to write. This might be because it expresses something very personal that makes you uncomfortable – either because of its content, or because it seems too emotional or ugly or strange. I chose to write one to my father.

A Poem to my Father

You let me down in so many ways
You were my standard in men
I expected so much more from you
Yet, you disappointed me time and again

I see others get so much more
A father should protect his daughter
Instead, you just walked away
I guess blood isn’t thicker than water

I chose someone just like you
Thinking the faults would mend
Rather I just wasted those years
A lost cause, an awful dead end

I was supposed to depend on you
Instead you up and parted
I can never forgive you now
Too many times left broken-hearted

Five years passed since I saw you
I don’t think of you much any more
I wonder if I’d care if you passed away
If I’m honest, I’m really not sure

Victoria Welton 11th April 2016

logo-napowrimo

And then the fun began...
Awards wording
BritMums BritMums BritMums
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. April 17, 2016 / 7:38 am

What a beautiful poem. You really get a sense of the scale of your emotion but in such a measured, poised way. It must have taken a lot of strength to write x

2. April 16, 2016 / 6:05 am

Gosh, that must have taken an enormous amount of emotional strength to write … and publish. I am so sorry you had a father you couldn’t absolutely look up to … as Teacuptoria says, so much leads back to our childhood. I think it’s a really positive thing that you are using writing to express yourself; it’s brilliant, isn’t it? Powerful, thought-provoking stuff. Thanks for sharing – and hosting – and sorry I haven’t linked up before now. (I’ll be back!) #Prose4Thought

• April 16, 2016 / 8:21 pm

It did and it didn’t – I just knew I had to write this one day and I just found the moment I guess. Thank you so much. Writing is an amazing outlet and I reallylove it. Please don’t apologise! It is great to see you and thank you so much for linking x
      Victoria recently posted..Together – Day 16 of National Poetry Writing Month #NaPoWriMoMy Profile

3. April 15, 2016 / 3:30 pm

Wow, you are so brave to use a prompt like this as a source of inspiration – powerful words, I am full of admiration #prose4T

4. April 15, 2016 / 12:26 pm

Really powerful and sadly I can relate to the shortcomings of a father. I’m sorry to hear your story. x

5. April 14, 2016 / 3:33 pm

Oh, this makes me sad to read. I can relate, sadly, although I don’t think my father was intentionally unavailable(hindsight is a wonderful thing), I just don’t think he was very good at the dad thing. Still, makes me sad that I didn’t have much time with him before he died. Powerful words Vicky xx
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..Bake: how to make a Princess CakeMy Profile

6. April 14, 2016 / 2:20 pm

Gosh! Some raw, real emotion in this one. Such a sad read. Your disappointment is there in each line. Makes me glad that my Dad was always there for me and my sister.

7. April 14, 2016 / 11:15 am

Wow! What a powerful poem. I know precisely how you feel (I grew up with a “half there” dad too). Thank you for sharing such personal words with us. You perfectly summed up many unspoken feelings about my absent parent and made me feel stronger in the process. Thank you, Victoria!

8. April 12, 2016 / 9:44 pm

So sorry you had to grow up with a dad who wasn’t there for you (and still isn’t now by the sounds of it). On the bright side the fact that you are such a lovely, well balanced person is testament to your mum (assuming you were brought up by your mum!). Powerful words Vic. Thanks for linking to #thetruthabout X
    Sam recently posted..The Truth about… #70My Profile

9. April 12, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Oh wow Vic, that is such a powerful poem. I’m so sorry your dad let you down. I can imagine it became even harder to understand once you had Grace. My dad has been great but he wasn’t around when we were growing up as he was always working. He ran his own business and was out of the house at 6.30 and home at 6pm. We couldn’t afford to come on holiday with us to the caravan so my mum and grandma would take us and he’d drive up for a night. Those two ladies did everything for us. I often think that might have affected the type of men I go for because if he’s have been around more, maybe I’d have stood a better chance of picking a reliable partner. Life is complicated isn’t it…so much leads back to our childhood. Well done for having the courage to write this. xx

10. April 11, 2016 / 6:24 pm

A courageous and affecting read x

11. Stephs Two Girls
    April 11, 2016 / 5:25 pm

Such a shame that you’ve not had great support from your own father. Brilliantly written poem though x