A Tasty Little Treat

I think all of us have been guilty of over-indulging at one time or another. I know I have. When I saw the prompt from Sara this week was ‘treat’, I decided to look at how self-congratulatory people could be to themselves over even the smallest of things. The problem comes when you continuously do it and then it gets bigger and bigger and, if you are not careful, it can spiral out of control.

I like to think that I exercise much more will-power that I used to (not that I was that bad in the past!) but I still do have the occasional blip!

This week’s photo is of the sweet table at the wedding Ross, Grace and I attended last October. I thought it was lovely of Jon and Nikki to treat their guest plus the favours on the tables were Kinder eggs – which were a great idea!

A Tasty Little Treat

Another deadline set
One I hope I’ll meet
How will I get by?
I’ll give myself a treat

I’m feeling a bit down
Having a bad day
I’ll have myself a cake
‘But just the one’ I say

Got through the whole of Monday
I’m happy with myself
I reach for the hot chocolate
Hidden high up on the shelf

A difficult appointment
I’m self-congratulatory
Surely now at this point
That wine is mandatory?

It’s too easy come the weekend
To take your eye off of the ball
A takeaway won’t matter
And yes, I’ll eat it all!

So, be careful just how much
You self-indulge and eat
It could all turn into gluttony
Rather than a tasty little treat

Victoria Welton 25th January 2016

Prose for Thoughtmumturnedmom
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. February 1, 2016 / 12:15 pm

This is very resonant, Vic – I’m a comfort eater and put on more weight than I am comfortable with in the past couple of years. For understandable reasons, but yep – we have to be careful comfort doesn’t turn into gluttony. xx #theprompt
    Leigh – Headspace Perspective recently posted..(How Do You) Treat YourselfMy Profile

2. February 1, 2016 / 8:01 am

A great poem. I have been very guilty in the past off over indulgence. I’m really trying to live by the moto everything in moderation now. Great take on #ThePrompt

3. tracey at Mummyshire
    January 31, 2016 / 11:20 pm

Well, when you put it like that maybe I do need to review what I’ve just eaten haha! It’s so true, there’s a treat for every little occasion in my house for me (although I do regulate the children, why’s that huh?!) and before I know it the cupboard is bare!
    Great reminder that a treat really should be a treat!
    #ThePrompt

4. January 31, 2016 / 11:17 pm

That is so me! Lovely poem, made me smile πŸ™‚

5. January 29, 2016 / 10:28 pm

I have had a hot chocolate, Thai takeaway and beers just today! I shall have to call to mind your brilliant poem tomorrow and do better! Thanks for hosting #Prose4T

6. January 29, 2016 / 1:52 pm

Oh, this is so true! I’m a great believer in everything in moderation, but there is definitely a tendency to have just one more treat at the end of a good/bad/happy/sad day isn’t there! And, they certainly add up if you do that πŸ™‚ Love this poem, it flows brilliantly and each verse made me smile, wryly! Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt and for hosting #Prose4T x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..The Prompt 99My Profile

7. January 29, 2016 / 11:27 am

I’m feeling very guilty reading your lovely poem, I think I last will power and can never resist a sweet treat. My only saving factor is I’m also addicted to exercise or I’d be enormous.

8. January 29, 2016 / 9:10 am

That’s brilliant – so very true how those little treats can add up and start to become gluttony rather than reward! Love the look of that sweet table too – not sure I could stop at ‘just the one’ though…! πŸ™‚

9. January 28, 2016 / 12:24 pm

It’s like you have written about me! I am terrible for treating myself for absolutely no reason. January has been very trying for my willpower!

10. January 28, 2016 / 10:40 am

What a great and creative reminder to eat treats in moderation, Victoria! I love treats myself, but I’d like to think I’m more careful to not overindulge. Thanks so much for hosting this week and for another lovely piece to share with us! Have a wonderful Thursday πŸ™‚

11. January 27, 2016 / 9:44 pm

I love it – so very true! Treats really do get me through stuff sometimes but we do have to be careful. What a fabulous sweet table at the wedding – I think I would have seriously overindulged! Thanks for linking to #WhatImWriting xx

• January 27, 2016 / 10:21 pm

Thanks Maddy – glad you like it. I am afraid that we did over-indulge on that table!! x
      Victoria recently posted..A Tasty Little TreatMy Profile

12. January 27, 2016 / 6:53 pm

Oh I hear you! Those treats can soon mount up, can’t they?!