A Redwing Looks Out

I don’t know about you but every so often I take a photo that surprises me. I took this when I was at Amchara last week. I hadn’t noticed that the fields behind had the sun shining on them that turned them a shade of red. All I was doing was following this bird – which I found out later to be a Song Thrush – across the trees and through the woodland. The only thing I would change would be the shadows over the thrush but I wanted to leave the photo as natural as possible.

NB: So many thanks to Neesie at Neesie Natters who has since pointed out that this bird is, in fact, a Redwing which makes it even more appropriate with the red fields behind it. According to the RSPB the redwing is most commonly encountered as a winter bird and is the UK’s smallest true thrush. They roam across the UK’s countryside, feeding in fields and hedgerows, rarely visiting gardens, except in the coldest weather when snow covers the fields. Only a few pairs nest in the UK.

OneDad3GirlsRunning in Lavender
Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2016 Victoria Welton

1. February 2, 2016 / 2:22 pm

What a wonderfully, perfect and beautiful captured moment. And it’s made even more special knowing that it is such a rare bird. I loved the thought that it was a “song bird’ – which made me think of the famous song. Thank you for linking up to #MyCapturedMoment xx

2. January 31, 2016 / 5:11 pm

What a gorgeous shot! I love all of the photos you’ve been taking for the nature challenge πŸ™‚

3. January 29, 2016 / 1:47 pm

Hi Victoria, my Dad would be so disappointed in me for not noticing that it was in fact a Redwing and not a Thrush. Dad’s a big birdwatcher and we grew up with a bird table the size of a helicopter landing pad. On occasion we did get them in the garden( I remember Dad getting excited about it), which may have been because our garden backed onto fields. But please don’t mention that I didn’t know!

xx

4. January 28, 2016 / 12:47 pm

What a lovely photo. The colours are so wonderful and make you feel like a new day is coming. #mycapturedmoment

5. January 26, 2016 / 11:09 am

What a beautiful photo, I love the colours in the background creates a warmth to the picture

6. January 26, 2016 / 7:53 am

I had a mistle thrush singing away in a treereently but it was too far away for me to get a picture. It’s song was fabulous and VERY loud. We also get a lot of redwings and field fares through the winter here.
    Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault recently posted..Animal Tales – 54My Profile

7. January 25, 2016 / 12:27 pm

What a beautiful capture! I am terrible shooting a wildlife. I don’t seem to have enough silence in me. I need to get one of those extra extra zoomable lens. I love the flourish of the colours in here. x

8. January 24, 2016 / 10:36 pm

A great shot, love the red hue of the fields. #mysundayphoto

9. January 24, 2016 / 6:35 pm

That is just beautiful! Fantastic photo x

10. January 24, 2016 / 6:32 pm

Great capture. I never manage to get the camera set up quickly enough or have a decent lens on at the time to get bird photos!

11. January 24, 2016 / 4:57 pm

Fantastic shot Victoria, but I think your bird isn’t a song thrush… I think it’s a Redwing. Which with the beautiful red field behind seems quite appropriate.
    I wasn’t sure whether to say or not… hope you don’t mind.
    The Redwing migrates here and arrives from September, with most coming in October and November. They then leave again in March and April, although occasionally birds stay later.

• January 28, 2016 / 5:32 pm

You are a complete godsend Neesie. I had wondered if I had got it right – and you are so correct about the background! I don’t mind at all – they are a much rarer bird πŸ™‚ x
      Victoria recently posted..Prose for Thought. Thursday 28th January 2016My Profile

12. January 24, 2016 / 4:16 pm

Your photography is amazing, I aspire to be as good as you when I grow up! haha x

13. January 24, 2016 / 1:58 pm

Amazing photo Vicky, I’m always impressed with your bird photos, I never manage to catch them! The composition of this one is lovely, the red fields behind really add something special x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted..Sunday Photo: 24 January 2016My Profile

14. January 24, 2016 / 1:53 pm

What a great shot! I love natural pictures like this. Nature is wonderful.

15. January 24, 2016 / 11:41 am

That’s a great photo. To capture a bird like that is truly amazing. The background is an added bonus. #mysundayphoto
    Bear and Cardigan recently posted..#MySundayPhoto Number 4My Profile

16. January 24, 2016 / 11:10 am

Wow that’s an amazing capture, I’m always wanting to do something like that πŸ™‚

17. January 24, 2016 / 9:28 am

Beautiful photo – what a happy surprise! Love the composition and subtle pinks in the background.

18. January 24, 2016 / 8:26 am

The red field is a nice surprise. Adds a good contrast to the photo.

19. January 24, 2016 / 8:23 am

Beautiful photo, I love how the background adds colour without being distracting

20. January 24, 2016 / 6:57 am

Hi Victoria, a photo to be proud of for sure. The colours in the back ground emphasize the tree and thrush really nicely.

xx
    Debbie recently posted..You Want Me To Go Where?My Profile

21. January 24, 2016 / 6:56 am

Gorgeous photo. I wouldn’t have known it was a song thrush either. I love it when photos turn out better than you expect them to!

22. January 24, 2016 / 6:20 am

I hadn’t even noticed the shadows until you mentioned it. It;s a very captivating image and I love the way it’s been focused.

23. January 24, 2016 / 6:14 am

I always think they are the best kind of shots. I agree the field in the background is stunning and sets off the colours in the bird. #MySundayPhoto

24. January 24, 2016 / 12:09 am

This is a stunning shot, you’re right, and I love the background. It really makes the bird sing! (pardon the pun!!)
    #SundayPhoto

25. January 24, 2016 / 12:08 am

What a gorgeous shot – love the red hue of the fields and the way you’ve captured the song thrush looking out over them. Beautiful.