Space. A Photography and Poetry Prompt.

Space. That is this week’s photography and poetry prompt, and it can be interpreted in many different ways. A continuous area or expanse which is free, available, or unoccupied. The dimensions of height, depth, and width within which all things exist and move. Or, the one I have chosen to write about, the physical universe beyond the earth’s atmosphere.

Ever since I was a little girl, space has held a massive fascination for me. It was no wonder with programmes such as Doctor Who, Blake’s Seven and Buck Rogers. I even remember watching ‘Alien’ at a very early age and being both fascinated and petrified in equal measures! ET was a big part of my childhood and was the only Panini sticker book that I collected in full!

Grace is now fascinated by Space. She believes that she can look out of the window and see the ones she loved, who are no longer with us, appear in the sky as stars. The three of us recently made a film together and she drew another picture to send over to the writer in order to update the final edit recently – and it is that image that I am sharing with you this week. Look out for the man in the moon (sleeping!) and the guy on earth with the telescope (and yes, it IS a telescope!).

I have written what I consider to be one of my favourite poems to date. I hope you enjoy it too.

IMG_1203

Space

Fascinated by it and what it holds
You can blame The Doctor for that
Throughout my childhood it unfolds
Spacedust was my favourite snack

Star Wars soon was all the rage
As he played Luke to my Leia
In the playground it was all space-age
As we’d renact him trying to free her

Space 1999 on a Saturday morning
And who could forget Logans Run?
The Tomorrow People came with a warning
Mork and Mindy was lots of fun

War of the Worlds soundtrack – I was in awe
It was played at school when I was eight
I stayed in at lunchtimes and listened to more
Richard Burton was first rate

Buck Rogers was one I wanted to see
With his sidekick robot Twiki
Wilma Deering was who I wanted to be
Twiki’s memorable saying? ‘beedy-beedy’!

Blake Seven meant staying up after bedtime
My parents could see that I was a fan
A space ship of people who had committed a crime
But the scariest one was Servalan

Star Trek –  I watched it now and again
With a log kept by Captain Kirk
He came in peace and ordered his men
to shoot to kill – what a burke!

Back to the Doctor and his TARDIS
All of those trusty sidekicks
It’s still a show that I can’t miss
Watching the daleks get up to their tricks

It’s no wonder it is fascinating to me
And now it’s magical for Grace
We both look up and we can see
The fascination, the wonder of Space

Victoria Welton 13th May 2015

Prose for Thought

I am thrilled to say that Verily Victoria Vocalises has been shortlisted for the Social Media Category at the Brilliance in Blogging Awards. I would love your vote to help me to get to the finals and to be in with a chance of winning. Simply pop over to http://bit.ly/1GBA8iG

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. May 17, 2015 / 1:04 pm

I loved Blakes Seven with it’s extremely low rent special effects, including the hair dryer space ship! Thanks for the trip down memory lane! #pocolo

2. May 15, 2015 / 9:10 pm

I totally get your fascination with space. I was exactly the same as a girl. It’s such a big concept to get your head around. Have you watched Interstellar? Amazing! Love the poem. A great read xx #pocolo
    Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) recently posted..MomentsMy Profile

3. May 15, 2015 / 4:50 pm

Vicky, I loved reading your little ‘background’ piece on space before your poem. I was the opposite and not particularly interested in space as a child, to be honest. I did like watching Doctor Who. Now though, I have a deep fascination with astronomy and the universe as we know it. You can really feel your passion for the subject coming through #prose4t
    Carol Cameleon recently posted..When no news is good newsMy Profile

4. May 15, 2015 / 1:15 pm

A trip down memory lane!
    I think as children we are all fascinated by space. It just symbolizes so much unknown, so many possibilities, and the opportunity to explore.
    Your poem and the photo really capture those ideas πŸ™‚

5. Michelle Reeves (bodfortea)
    May 15, 2015 / 12:25 pm

Love this! Mork and Mindy – that was a blast from the past and one of my favourite shows when I was a kid. So sad that he has passed now. Fab poem x #PoCoLo

6. May 15, 2015 / 11:05 am

Great poem. Space really does hold a great fascination. My son loves it too and now my girls are currently learning about space so he is teaching them things at night and looking through his telescope. I’m sure they will like star wars soon too.

7. May 15, 2015 / 9:56 am

Love your poem and Grace’s picture – space is something that used to fascinate me too as a child and I would pore over books about the planets. Your poem brought back some memories – I used to love the War of the Worlds soundtrack, really must dig it out and listen again πŸ™‚
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted..Heart to Heart – MayMy Profile

8. May 14, 2015 / 11:45 am

Fantastic post, Vic! I can feel your fascination with space from the very first line, and I bet it’s wonderful to see your daughter sharing the same passion for it. It’s great to share such fascination for such a wondrous subject. I hope I am as lucky with my daughter when she grows older. Thank you for hosting #Prose4T this week! Happy to be a part of it.
    Maria recently posted..What a Daughter Needs to Hear (A Letter to My Daughter Vol 7)My Profile

9. Maddy@writingbubble
    May 14, 2015 / 11:13 am

This poem is a trip down memory lane for me! I loved Buck Rogers (I wonder if the theme tune is somewhere online? I might have to check!) And, oh, that War of the Worlds soundtrack! I played it to my sons recently though and it scared them! xx
    Maddy@writingbubble recently posted..limerick challenge #25 – tigerMy Profile