The Benefits of a Water Softener in conjunction with EWT Water Specialists

10347173_335598963305179_1242769591078032383_nWhen I was a child, my parents had a water softener installed in our house. They were told that the benefits were great. Softer water meant softer clothes, less limescale and cleaner kitchen and bathroom ware. The other thing it was supposed to do was help our skin but, in fact, it did the opposite and we had to have it removed.

Of course, things have come a long way since I was a kid and many things have evolved. Including water softners. So, when EWT Water Specialists approached me to review and test out a softener in my home, I was interested to find out more about the benefits.

We live in a hard water area and I have really noticed it since we moved to Somerset. The water was OK in Berkshire without any signifcant limescale build-up so it was a bit of a shock to the system to see how our kitchen and bathroom fittings were standing the test of time due to this.

In no particular order, here is a list of benefits that a water softner offers:

1. It Saves You Money

According to research carried out by EWT, you can reduce your gas, oil and electricity bills by as much as up to 30 per cent when you start using a softner. It reduces maintenance costs as the softer water helps to prevent limescale build up and, even reduces it over time. Also, following independent research on the benefits of a water softener, it has been proven that a water softener will pay for itself in a time period of 7 to 8 months. It also means that over £500 can be saved annually on detergents, heating and appliances by using water softeners.

2.  Limescale Elimination

As per my last point, it gets rid of limescale. One of the worst culprits is on our shower head. Our shower isn’t that powerful as it is but with the build up of limescale, it makes it an awful lot worse!

Our shower head - clogged with limescale.

Our shower head – clogged with limescale.

IMG_0943

Around the bottom of the bath taps.

3. Cleaner Fixtures, Fittings and Appliances

One of things that I have had to use is limescale removing products – and even then, no matter how much I scrub, there is still residue left behind on the taps, sinks and our shower door. EWT told me that my household cleaning time can be reduced by over 50 per cent (yes please!) when you have softer water as it will mean that the fittings and appliances will come up cleaner.

4. Softer Skin

It has been proven that hard water is not good for sensitive skin. This is an area where Grace has suffered all of her life with various forms of eczema and a condition called Keratosis Pilaris (a dry skin complaint which results in little bumps on the skin). From having a water softener, it will mean that your skin becomes naturally moisturised and smoother.

Keratosis Pilaris. Photo Credit: Blogher.com

Keratosis Pilaris.
Photo Credit: Blogher.com

Our water softener was fitted just over a month ago, but I have taken a video of the effects of limescale on our house before we started to see if any of the benefits listed above took place.

Tomorrow I shall be sharing my ‘before’ video with you showing you all of the fittings and appliances prior to the water softener being fitted.  Coming up, I will share a video of the installation of the softener, where it resides and how I run it and, in the near future, I hope to be able to bring you an ‘after’ video of the appliances as they are now.

In the meantime, the kind people at EWT Water have agreed to let my readers have a free water test kit to see if you would benefit from a water softener in your home. Simply follow this link and fill in the form.

Find EWT, the Water Specialists on their website and on Facebook.

EW TECHNOLOGIES IN LONDON (UNITED KINGDOM)

EWT Water Specialists
11 Viewpoint
Maidstone
Kent
England
United Kingdom
ME14 2DZ

EW TECHNOLOGIES IN DUBLIN (IRELAND)

EWT Water Specialists
Unit 215, Blanchardstown Corporate Park 2,
Ballycoolin,
Dublin 15
Ireland

EW TECHNOLOGIES (POLAND)

Katowice-Piotrowice
ul.Zbożowa 38
Poland
Tel: 32 630 42 91

Disclosure: We were supplied with a Gold Series 606 water softening system in return for a series of posts regarding it’s usage and effectiveness. The opinions and images we share are honest and not influenced in any way.

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2015 Victoria Welton

1. June 6, 2016 / 7:01 am

Informative post.

Water softening helps rinse soap residue more thoroughly, leaving your clothing and dishes as well as your hair and skin looking and feeling cleaner.

2. April 23, 2016 / 9:47 am

Installing water softer in our house is very important as it can prevent from many diseases. Using it can give us many benefits.

3. Hazel Owens
    April 14, 2016 / 6:42 pm

I think it’s great that soft water reduces limescale build up. I’ve always disliked having to scrape away the limescale from my shower heads and sinks, so not having it build up sounds great. I might have to consider getting a water softening system just for that. Thanks for the information!

4. November 10, 2015 / 1:59 am

Victoria, what a fascinating tip that you mentioned on tip 2 about water softener eliminating limescale. Ever since buying my new home from my parent’s neighbors it seems like the water softener that they had was damaged. The damage itself was not huge but also it needs some attention since that’s where we get our water.

5. Veronica Marks
    September 16, 2015 / 10:33 pm

Soft water definitely takes some getting used to, but it really is a great thing to have! The place we are currently living has a water softener, and it’s exactly like you said. My skin is so much softer, and doesn’t get dry as easily! I seriously love having soft water!

6. April 30, 2015 / 10:23 pm

It is interesting that such a simple thing as hardness of water can affect so many areas of our life. My son has problems with dry skin, especially on the back of his arms. I think I need to consider a water softener, as well as the emollient.
    #PoCoLo

7. April 25, 2015 / 9:17 pm

Our water here is horrendous, and it certainly makes for keeping clean bathromm taps/bath and sink a nightmare. My mum had a water softener installed. She loved it although as kids we preferred the harder water for drinking. I didn’t notice any improvement in my skin, but just the cleaning/clogging benefits are worth it.
    Emma T recently posted..Project 365 2015 week 17My Profile

8. April 25, 2015 / 6:43 pm

Hi Victoria, our water is terribly hard, everything furs up and the bathroom tiles and sink always seem to have water droplet marks on them. A water softener sounds perfect, but it’s not something I have heard of over here, but is worth looking into.

Your post may also have shed light on why my daughter (who has sensitive skin) suffers with bouts of itchy, dry skin. Our water sources change quite often, so maybe it’s harder coming from one source over another.
    Debbie recently posted..Aspergers Syndrome: Raising AwarenessMy Profile

9. April 25, 2015 / 11:13 am

Oh my! we have bumps on are arms and the limescale is awful in North Hampshire, I might speak to daddy today and get him to have a look. Thanks for this wonderful, informative post! #PoCoLo
    Baby Isabella recently posted..50 Things that make me happy….by my mummyMy Profile

10. April 24, 2015 / 10:04 pm

This is so interesting, my daughter has bumps on her upper arms which are just like those in the photo above. she’s had them for years, but as they have never bothered her, we’v not worried too much, believing them to be related to heat, specifically her inability to maintain correct body temperature.

i’ll have to show my hubs this piece, see what he thinks.

thanks for an interesting read!
    Kimmie recently posted..‘Somebody’s Son’ (Nurturing in passing) #1000speakMy Profile

11. April 24, 2015 / 9:39 pm

Hey, this is really interesting. Living in London, I have no doubt we are in a hard water area. In fact, we had a leaflet through the other week – may have even been the same company… definitely made me think…will have a look at the link. #pocolo

12. teacuptoria
    April 24, 2015 / 4:27 pm

Well who would have realised how much rubbish is in our water?! This is such an interesting post and definitely something to consider. xx
    teacuptoria recently posted..Happy in ParisMy Profile

13. April 24, 2015 / 4:03 pm

I will be interested to see how you get on with your trial. We live in a hard water area and I am forever removing limescale.
    Also interested to see how your skin (and hair) react. I notice a real difference in my skin and hair when washing it in soft water on holiday
    #PoCoLo
    Sam recently posted..Monsters Love Underpants – Book ReviewMy Profile

14. April 24, 2015 / 2:15 pm

Its going to be interesting to see you are really going to see all these benefits that the EWT Gold Series over the next few weeks. Really looking forward to the follow up blogs.

15. April 24, 2015 / 1:10 pm

We have hard water and are constantly descaling. We keep considering a water softener. It sounds like there are many benefits
    Let kids be kids recently posted..Battle of the catch upMy Profile

16. April 24, 2015 / 10:34 am

see I’ve always lived in a soft water area so I’ve never had to worry really but the facts you talk about are very interesting!! #PoCoLo
    chantelle hazelden recently posted..Dear DaughtersMy Profile

• April 24, 2015 / 5:05 pm

It certainly helps if you have softer water! x

17. tracey bowden
    April 24, 2015 / 9:59 am

I hope this water softener is beneficial to you especially for grace. It’s not something I have a problem in my area ‘up north’
    tracey bowden recently posted..The Dresses Are Out!My Profile

18. April 24, 2015 / 7:35 am

Hope the water softener helps with the limescale and improving Grace’s skin. We also live in a hard water area and Sophie has eczema – makes me think perhaps I should look into whether we would find a water softener beneficial too. Will look forward to seeing your before and after posts.
    Louise recently posted..The Friday Focus 24/04/15My Profile