Do you know what? Selfies really are starting to bore me a little. You seem to see them everywhere these days and everyone is doing it (that’s not to say that I’m going to stop taking them once in a while though!).
What I can get behind though is a ‘shelfie’ and when I saw over on the Tots100 site that Victoria Plumb wanted us to share ours then I was more than happy to do that! All you need to do is take a photo of a shelf in your house and share it on Instagram or Twitter and, of course, your blog.
The shelfie I am sharing is the one in my ‘office’ (fourth bedroom of our house) where I do most of my blogging. It is full of special memories and keepsakes and every so often during the day I take a quick glance at it to help keep me sane.
The shelf itself is a sideboard which belonged to my late Grandma. My father was going to get a house clearance company in to get rid of absolutely everything but my Mum and I managed to save it all before he had the chance to. This sideboard reminds me of Sunday lunches in the dining room at her house in Wales.
1. I have had this vase forever! I love yellow and blue and many years ago I had knitted sunflowers in it. I have now found a new place for it here and found some new sunflowers on eBay to go in it.
2. My wonderful Grandparents – my Mum’s Mum and Dad – I have many,many found memories. Sadly my Grandma died when I was just 7 but I am very lucky to have had my Granddad around until 4 years ago this month. There isn’t a day goes by that I don’t miss him and I am so lucky he got to meet Grace. I wish he could have met Ross, he would have loved him!
3. The first professional photograph of me, Ross and Grace. Done for a photographer as part of his portfolio – and to help our headshots.
4. A photograph of Grace when she was only a few hours old. She was born on a Tuesday. I didn’t realise it at the time but ‘Tuesday’s Child is Full of Grace’ and that is what this frame says on it.
5. Probably my most favourite photograph of Grace, taken at my brother’s wedding on 5th September 2009, she was two and a half years old and just getting over chicken pox (although it doesn’t show in the photo).
6. The most recent addition to my shelf. This is a gift I received from Jaime from The Olivers Madhouse a couple of weeks ago. A star calling me ‘Special Friend’, on the box front it reads ‘Friends are like stars, you don’t have to see them to know they are there’ and then a note from Jaime which says ‘Blogging has brought about so many fantastic things…our friendship is one of them! Have an amazing birthday, J x’.
7 & 8. These two photos were taken exactly three years ago to the day yesterday. It was one of the most special days ever! My 40th birthday party. The larger photo of me and Ross was the first profile picture that Ross put on Facebook of the two of us! It is not usual for him to do PDAs so this meant a lot to me.
9. This was the first clay pot that Grace ever made and painted at school when she was 5 years old.
10. This is my favourite figurine. It is a Willow Tree make and is called ‘Mother and Daughter’. I saved up and bought it when it was just me and Grace on our own. This means a lot to me.
11. Finally, you may have noticed the piece of black ribbon in the main photo on the left-hand drawer. This is attached to a very special VIP Pass for the exclusive Peter Cox concert at High Barn. I wrote all about that here.
So you see, I have a great #shelfie full of very special memories. And what about you? Do you have a favourite shelf? Go over to Victoria Plumb bathrooms who are currently running the fantastic Victoria Plumb Great British Home quiz. Take part and you could win £250 just by finding out what your style is. I was glamourous – although I wasn’t so keen to be compared to people from TOWIE!
Plus, write your own post sharing your shelfie and you could win £500 thanks to Victoria Plumb and Tots100.