My Favourite Fashion Tip: Colour Co-ordination.

66957_482423117663_4536451_n

Me at The London College of Fashion in 1988

Not a lot of people know that once upon a time I attended the London College of Fashion. I was one of 23 successful applicants out of over 600 to make it onto that year’s Modelling Course (that year being 1987-88!). I really enjoyed my time there and, although my career never followed the modelling path, I did learn an awful lot about fashion and make-up and what works and what doesn’t.

La Redoute recently contacted me to ask me to write a post in a bid to become one of their Brand Ambassadors and share my favourite fashion tip and I knew straight away what I wanted to share. Colour co-ordination and what works together. Whenever I need a new outfit, I love to find matching accessories such as shoes and jewellery to ensure that you look fashion savvy and not mismatched or out of touch.

Many people’s go-to colour is black. Mainly because it is easy to wear, easy to co-ordinate and well-known for being slimming. For example, take a look at these wonderful black numbers teamed with whites, browns and beige from the La Redoute Secrets to French Style page:

Redoute 1

Unfortunately, bright colours are regularly overlooked and I believe that this is mainly because people are concerned about styling them the wrong way. Β Every woman has her own set of ‘colour rules’ but here are some tips to help you.

The Basics

Redoute 2

Take a look at this colour wheel. It is a great guide to help you decide what does and doesn’t work. The general rule of thumb is as follows:

1. Wear colours together that are directly next to each other.
  2. Wear colours together that form right angles with each other – for example blue and violet-red and yellow and blue-green
  3. Wear colours directly across from each other
  4. Wear colours that form a T – for example blue, orange and violet-red or yellow, violet and red-orange
  5. Wear colours that form an X – for example violet, blue-green and red-orange

Colours that are part of the same family also work well together, so you see the potentials are endless!

Brown is definitely one of my most favourite colours as it goes with virtually anything on the wheel. I am a big fan of brown (as most people who know me will tell you!) and I wear it regularly.

Here is some of La Redoute’s wonderful brown fashion:

Redoute 3

Opposites Attract:

As per point 3 of my explanation of the colour wheel, opposites really do attract. Let’s take Blue and Orange for example. I remember wearing a blue and orange outfit to my 16th birthday party many years ago. On paper, it sounds like it shouldn’t work but it really does. Take a look at this outfit I have put together.

redoute 4

Teaming up a gorgeous blue vest top, orange cropped trousers and blue and orange pumps. To accessorise, an orange stone necklace and blue shoulder bag. Perfect! Sort of helps that they are my blog’s theme colours too! πŸ˜‰

Next Door Neighbours

Referring to Point 1 of my explanation of the colour wheel, let’s take the unlikely couple – yellow and green and see how it shapes up.

redoute 5

Yellow and green used to be the colours of my uniform at first and middle school! I have to say that I didn’t really like them then (I am guessing that is because of school!). Love them now though!

Colouring In

Of course, there are times when you do need to be more conservative but this doesn’t mean that you can’t add a splash of colour to liven things up a bit. You can keep a neutral palette using colours such as black, navy or cream and add a hint of colour in the right places. One of my favourites is black and purple. I put together this outfit as one I would love to wear from the La Redoute range.

redoute 6

I have also created a board on Pinterest so please feel free to come over and pin your favourite colour co-ordinated outfits.

Follow Victoria Welton’s board Fashion Tips on Pinterest.

At the end of the day, fashion is not just about knowing what works…it is knowing what works for you.Β Colour co-ordination can be done – it takes some experimenting and confidence. Black may be slimming but I can assure you, there are many other flattering colours too.

I will leave you with my favourite dress to accessorise – the one I wore to the MAD Blog Award finals last year. It has many colours running through it so you can pick out what works for you. As you can see, I chose pink and purple.

Redoute 7

I have written this post in a bid to become one of two lucky bloggers to represent La Redoute as a brand ambassador.

SuperBusyMum
I am so excited to have made this years finals of the MAD Blog Awards in ‘Most Innovative’ once again and would love the chance to win my category this year. If you would like to support me then please go toΒ http://www.the-mads.com/vote/ and choose ‘Vevivos’ in the drop down menu. Also, if you would be kind enough to vote for me in the BiBs, my chosen categories are on my side bar to the right, near the top. Just click on those to take you across. Thank you so much for your valued support πŸ™‚ x

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2014 Victoria Welton

1. Ryan
    May 25, 2014 / 6:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your favorite tip colour co-ordination. This is very much useful not just for girls but for us boys as well, who wants to be in with the new fashion trends.

2. lorna mai
    April 6, 2014 / 1:09 am

I have a colour business! I show my clients which colours and shades to wear for their skin tone. Glad to see you’re encouraging people to wear colour and not black all the time! Another great tip is making sure that colours are all the same intensity or clarity. I also don’t advise wearing more than 2 brights at the same time. Some people of course have soft skin which means brights will overpower them so they are suited to more muted and blended colours. I loved reading this. Right up my street. Think I’ll add some colours to your board! (PoCoLo)
    lorna mai recently posted..Manchester Photo Shoot: do you look better in Navy or Coral?My Profile

3. Super busy mum
    April 3, 2014 / 10:16 pm

Wow, what an amazing post and get you being all model mode back in the eighties! I have never been into fashion, in fact when it comes to coordinating clothes, accessories and such, I suck…royally! Any tips for me? Haha. Great post Hun and good luck for the competition!

Thanks so much for linking up #madmidweekbloghop

4. April 3, 2014 / 9:36 am

Great post, and just what I needed to read at the moment. After realising my wardrobe was full of black, navy or grey I’m trying to add more colour so these tips are very much needed. Thanks xx
    Not A Frumpy Mum recently posted..Review – Mr Nutcase Phone CoveMy Profile

• April 3, 2014 / 10:51 am

So pleased it has helped you lovely πŸ™‚ Thanks for coming over for a read xx

5. April 2, 2014 / 10:58 pm

Great tips. I love wearing nicely colour-coordinated outfits and that wheel is a brilliant little reminder of what works well. Stunning B&W shot of you! Mel #SharewithMel

• April 3, 2014 / 11:03 am

Thank you so much Mel – really pleased that you find the post useful. Thank you for the wonderful compliment too xx

• April 3, 2014 / 11:04 am

Thank you so much lovely – and welcome to my blog xx

6. April 2, 2014 / 3:15 pm

A really great post on colour. I love colour clashing options, orange and blues, pinks and reds, but I’ll basically wear anything.
    Also, your modelling picture is just stunning.

#Sharewithme
    fashion-mommy recently posted..Style Classic – Hunter WelliesMy Profile

• April 3, 2014 / 11:04 am

7. tracey bowden
    April 2, 2014 / 1:59 pm

Fabulous tips thank you I am a bit clueless when it comes to things like this #sharewithme
    tracey bowden recently posted..Choosing Not To BreastFeedMy Profile

• April 3, 2014 / 11:06 am

No problem at all! So pleased you have found them helpful x

• April 3, 2014 / 11:07 am

Thank you so much – really pleased it helps πŸ™‚ x

8. April 2, 2014 / 11:05 am

WOW you were stunning then and stunning now. What a fantastic experience and I bet great memories too. This is my fav post because I could use the help .I am horrible about what colors go with what and how to put things together. I am still trying to find my style and figure it all out at 30 and it’s forever changing every moment. Depending on my mood. I could do with knowing more about make up too. Only started wearing it in my twenties, that’s what growing up on the farm does to you. Thank you EVER so much for linking up to my share with me linky. What an honor to have the fabulous Victoria over at Let’s Talk Mommy. I did a little jump when I saw your name! πŸ˜‰ Fantastic advice here. Thanks again and again. I will try to apply it to me and see where it takes me. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted..Share With Me ~ wk 9My Profile

• April 3, 2014 / 11:11 am

Awww, thank you Jenny πŸ™‚ And for your lovely kind words (I feel a little bit shy now!) xx

9. April 2, 2014 / 10:47 am

i think i was always horrible with mixing and matching clothes which actually made me quirky in a way. With regards to black colour even thought its easier to mix and match but it also should be of an appropriate length, look for a specific person

• April 3, 2014 / 11:12 am

I would have loved to have seen your style Victoria πŸ™‚ x

10. March 29, 2014 / 9:46 am

last year anya from http://www.oldersinglemum.com/ did some colour analysis on a group of us. it was really interesting to see what colours we all should be wearing to compliment our tones. i used to be so much braver with my colour choices, i really should try and get that confidence back again!
    HPMcQ recently posted..without paul smith i’d just be HPMy Profile

• March 28, 2014 / 9:33 pm

Thank you so much lovely πŸ™‚ I know – it’s fab, isn’t it?! x

11. March 28, 2014 / 1:23 pm

Just wow, great post, I really love the colour tips as some of the colours I wouldn’t have thought about putting together but I can see from the wheel that they would actually work!!! Good luck in becoming an ambassador x
    chantelle hazelden recently posted..Girls Really Are AmazingMy Profile

12. bloggermummylauren
    March 28, 2014 / 1:16 pm

Great post, you would make a great ambassador! I love love love the orange and blue outfit, perfect for summer!