One thing I certainly don’t do enough of is eat fruit. I go through stages of eating loads and then getting to point where I am bored of it and it sits on the side, going off. We are all the same in this house so there is no one person to blame!
Well, our left over fruit need go off no more! Not with this wonderful book from Parragon. ‘Baking with Fruit’ includes lots of wonderful recipes, using fresh fruit from all seasons and in all kinds of ways. There are perfect coffee-time treats such as Lemon Sponge Roll or Apple and Cinnamon Cake. Desserts include Peach Tarte Tatin, Morello Cherry Clafoutis, or light-as-air Meringue and Puff Pastry Slices with Berries. There are also some more unusual combinations like Pomegranate Cheesecake or Chilled Buttermilk and Kiwi Fruit Flan. All the recipes include clear directions and fabulous photos.
The recipe that really caught my eye was the Apple and Cinnamon Cake. Here is the recipe for you.
2 tsp baking powder
150g softened butter, plus extra for greasing
125g caster sugar
1 tsp icing sugar
40g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 28cm tart dish or tin.
- To make the cake, sift together the flour, cornflour and baking powder. Put the butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add the caster sugar and icing sugar, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until combined. Add the flour mixture in two batches and mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface
- To make the topping, peel and core the apples and cut them into thin slices. Mix the apple slices with the sugar and cinnamon. Scatter the apple slices evenly over the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until lightly browned. Leave to cool in the dish, then cut into wedges and serve.
Disclaimer: I was sent this book as part of the Parragon Bookbuddy scheme. Please note that all words and opinions expressed are my own and have not been influenced in any way.
I am so excited to have made this years finals of the MAD Blog Awards in ‘Most Innovative’ once again and would love the chance to win my category this year. If you would like to support me then please go to http://www.the-mads.com/vote/ and choose ‘Vevivos’ in the drop down menu. Also, if you would be kind enough to vote for me in the BiBs, my chosen categories are on my side bar to the right, near the top. Just click on those to take you across. Thank you so much for your valued support 🙂 x