Now then, anyone who is anyone knows that one of the most important things during the winter month is to boost your health and one of the easiest ways to do this is to up your intake of fruit and vegetables.
Parragon have come up with a great book to make that intake a little bit more interesting! The Juice Bar is a book full of great recipes for different kinds of energy and health boosts. For example you can power-up on slow-release energy drinks such as Muesli Motivator or Berry Kickstart – a great help if you are tackling the Christmas shopping (whether that be online or out in town!). The book holds some rehydration recipes to quench your thirst such as an ice-packed Raspberry and Watermelon Crush or Minted Melon Squash (I love the sound of that one!).
To aide your sports work-out there are quick energy shot drinks such as Blueberry Blast or Peach Energiser which are both high in natural sugars. Most importantly this time of year though are the drinks packed full of vitamin-C to help find colds as well as herbal remedies to help purify your body and tummy soothers to cleanse your system.
I was also pleased to see a great section in the book which is full of facts on the health benefits of different fruits and vegetables, tips on how to get the most from your juicer or blender and ideas for decorating your glass to glam up your drinks when you are holding a special event.
My favourite recipe from the book is the Mango and Lime Bone-Builder. Lime is one of my favourites. As it suggests it is good for your bones with the calcium-rich sesame seeds, kale and the rice, almond or soya milk. These all help to maintain bone strength and function of the nerves and muscles. Particularly important at this time of year, the addition of vitamin D to the soya milk which aids absorption.
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- half a lime, juice squeezed
- 30g/1oz green curly kale, torn into pieces
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled and roughly chopped (I would buy the ready chopped version!)
- 225ml/8floz unsweetened rice, almond or soya milk
- small handful of crushed ice
- Put the sesame seeds in a blender and whizz until finely ground.
- Add the lime juice, curly kale and mango. Whizz until blended.
- Add the milk and crushed ice and whizz again until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.