Guest What? Remember, Remember to Stay Safe.

Guest What BadgeWelcome to this week’s ‘Guest What’. This feature gives writers of other blogs the chance to submit a post and put it up on my site. It may be that they write here about something they wouldn’t normally say or put up on their own site, or may be they would like my readers to know more about them…whatever your reason you are very welcome here 🙂

This week’s guest blogger is Chantelle Hazelden from MamaMummyMum who is bringing us a very topical safety message all about bonfire night and remembering how to stay safe. Thank you Chantelle, over to you.

FireworksIt’s that time of year again when the nights are drawing in and the weather is distinctly colder. Halloween has passed us by which can only mean one thing, Bonfire night is upon us!!

Fireworks are great fun, something for all the whole family to watch and enjoy together but only when they are used properly. The one thing you must always keep in mind is safety, especially if you have young children like myself.

Here are four tips to keep your children safe :

1. As an adult, if you are putting on your own display then make sure to follow the Fireworks Code.

2. Talk to your children and explain to them about how dangerous fireworks can be, making them aware of what could happen if they are not used properly.

Facts that are worth knowing :

* A rocket firework can reach speeds of 150mph.

* Sparklers can get 5 times hotter than cooking oil.

* You will hear the explosion of a firework before you see it.

* The most common injuries are to the hands followed by the eyes and face.

* Around half of all injuries are to children under the age of 17.
3. Make sure that they are supervised by an adult at all times.

You are responsible for your child. If you don’t let them out of your sight and you follow all safety guidelines, this will reduce any risk of any injuries happening to them

4. Sparkler Safety

Sparklers can be beautiful and should be enjoyable but you must keep in mind that they are not toys and they have been the cause of many firework related injuries.

Here are some easy precautions :
* Never give a sparkler to a child under five.

* Make sure your child is wearing gloves when using a sparkler and that they hold it at arms length and that they do not wave it around near anybody else.

* Once the sparkler goes out place in a bucket of water of sand straight away because it will remain hot even when not lit.

If you are going to a fireworks display this week I hope you have an amazing time, just remember remember to stay safe.
MamaMummyMumYou can find Chantelle on her blog at MamaMummyMum, on Facebook, Twitter and Google +

If you are a blogger and would like to appear on Guest What? then please email me at vickywelton@hotmail.com

Follow:

1 Comment

  1. November 5, 2013 / 12:45 pm

    Thanks Chantelle for this timely advice.

    Stay safe tonight everyone…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge