Say no to the Christmas Spirit!

Around 8 years ago I was teaching a young man who lived in Cranleigh. I turned up around 4pm to pick him up for a lesson and was immediately suspicious when he got in my car. He stunk of alcohol. He was insistant that he had just drunk the one pint at lunchtime. I didn’t believe him but decided to do the recap chat at the start of the lesson to see how he interacted.

When I asked him questions, his speech was very slurred and so once again I asked him how much he had to drink. He then admitted to having had a pint and a half. Of course, then I didn’t trust him at all. So, I told him that to make certain I would drive him to the local police station, they could breathalyse him and then we could start the lesson.  Finally he admitted to having had four pints at his works Christmas lunch! I told him that I was not going to teach him but would have to charge him for my time.  Needless to say I never saw him again.

The Christmas Anti Drink Driving campaign has now started in West Berkshire. It was launched by Thames Valley Police. During last year they carried out 2,227 breath tests on motorists in Berkshire and 120 resulted in convictions. This was the highest in all the Thames Valley Counties.

Last year over the Christmas period, 164 people were involved in collisions across the Thames Valley Area, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. 120 were seriously injured and 20 people died.

Drinking and driving not only wrecks the lives of the innocent people involved, but, should the drink driver survive any incident they will then have to live with the guilt of the result of their reckless actions. Not only that but they could lose their job, livelihood and even home as a result.

Drink Driver Education is a charity in Newbury who provide courses for convicted offenders as well as providing education for workplaces and schools about the effects of alcohol in your system.

You don’t have to be over the limit to be convicted and sometimes the alcohol can still be in your system the following day. For example a pint of strong lager can take at least three hours before you can drive and a couple of glasses of wine can take anything up to eight hours.

When you make arrangements for partying or socialising this festive period, make arrangements for how you are going to travel home. Either arrange a designated driver – and buy them their soft drinks! – book a taxi or find somewhere to stay.

So please, think before you drink!

Need driving lessons? If you live in the Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire area and are looking for a a Driving Instructor, then, try me! My website is http://www.madeeasydriving.co.uk. I also provide gift vouchers :)

1. driving test adelaide
    January 6, 2013 / 7:53 am

You have posted a fantastic resource.
    driving test adelaide recently posted..driving test adelaideMy Profile

2. December 11, 2012 / 10:29 pm

It’s not only that – I have a friend whose husband ended up in a wheelchair because he drank and drove. Luckily no-one else was hurt but that is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

I meant to get a safe driving linky together but just haven’t had the time x
    Pinkoddy recently posted..SuperStar FriendsMy Profile

• Victoria
      December 13, 2012 / 4:42 pm

Very valid point there, thank you. It isn’t easy to find the time for any blogging but if you do the safe driving linky then I’m certainly up for it!

3. December 10, 2012 / 2:22 pm

thats disgusting that he thought he could do that, some people really are stupid! (sorry no other word for it) plain old stupidity!

• Victoria
      December 10, 2012 / 6:20 pm

Totally! I just wish I had more power to have stopped him having a licence!

4. December 10, 2012 / 12:35 pm

That is crazy that someone would try to have a driving lesson after they had been drinking….If they are that irresponsible before they have a license god knows what they will be like after!!
    Kim Carberry recently posted..The Christmas tag!!My Profile

• Victoria
      December 10, 2012 / 6:19 pm

I totally agree Kim, goodness only knows where he is now!

5. December 10, 2012 / 10:36 am

My friend and two of his family members were killed when a drunk driver drove into them. They were walking on pavement at time. I fully support this campaign to not drink and drive as I not only lost a friend but had to watch an entire devastated family at a triple funeral.
    Leyla -thisdayilove recently posted..Knights, Dragons and TeacupsMy Profile

• Victoria
      December 10, 2012 / 6:20 pm

Leyla, this makes me so very sad. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Such an unnecessary waste. Thank you for sharing xx